Dialogue Issues in Baldur's Gate

Hello, I'm very new to the modding community and modding in general. I decided to start with the oldest game in my collection, Baldur's Gate. I read that this EasyTutu mod was a major prerequisite so I downloaded and installed it first, no problem. I followed up by trying out a couple other mods starting with the NPC Kitpack, then the BG1 NPC Project, and then Coran's BG Friendship Talks.

However when I started playing, I ran into problems soon after Imoen joins my party. When conversing with other characters, her portrait takes my place. Then randomly the game will stop and bring up a dialogue screen (which I presume is a conversation Imoen is trying to have with me do to the mod?) but there are no options for selection. For all intents and purposes, it freezes my game. I'm not sure if I should uninstall the mods, and if so, how I should go about doing so.

I'm not sure how else to explain it. If you need additional information please let me know what you need and how I can obtain it. As I said, I'm very new to this and I'm not the greatest with computer lingo but I'm eager to learn. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. = Despite my problems with the mods I already have I'm interested in other mods the community suggests I install. I'm looking for things that simply fix mistakes or add interesting quests. Again, please use words for a simpleton like me. :)

However when I started playing, I ran into problems soon after Imoen joins my party. When conversing with other characters, her portrait takes my place. Then randomly the game will stop and bring up a dialogue screen (which I presume is a conversation Imoen is trying to have with me do to the mod?) but there are no options for selection. For all intents and purposes, it freezes my game. I'm not sure if I should uninstall the mods, and if so, how I should go about doing so.
the BG1 NPC Project does add banters and one liners throughout the Tutu game. The portrait changing is actually cause the BG2 engine can show portraits of the npc who is doing the talking. so long as you have the button at the bottom of the dialog that says "Continue" or "End Dialog" your game is not frozen. If Imoen is the party member that is first recognized by the NPC being spoken with then her portrait will show. Try selecting just your PC when you go to initiate a conversation, if Imoen's portrait shows at that point there may be an issue

If you still think there is a problem with your game, then do the following:

• post your weidu.log so that we can see what you installed and in what order.
  • post the location where you installed both BG2 and BG1 as well as the EasyTutu location

the weidu.log can be long so putting it inside the spoiler tag would be appreciated.

Despite my problems with the mods I already have I'm interested in other mods the community suggests I install. I'm looking for things that simply fix mistakes or add interesting quests.
BG1 Unfinished Business. Its compatible with Tutu & BGT as well as BG1. If you wait for version 14 you'll get the chance to use a new component which expands upon the Prism encounter to an extent. Hopefully the wait won't be too long.

BG1 Mini-quests and Encounters is also Tutu & BGT compatible and adds in some small but interesting side quests

I've tried leaving Imoen in the starting spot and taking my character up to Montaron and Xzar, but when I initiate dialogue the camera will scroll all the way back to Imoen and use her portrait. When Imoen attempts to talk to me, there is no continue or end dialogue option, just a blank slate.

I'll post my weidu.log if you tell me where I can find it. What is it anyway? And how do I use the spoiler tags on these forums to cover the obnoxious amount of info?

Thanks for the tips on the quest mods by the way, though I'm going to fix my current ones first.

weidu.log is in the top level of your game directory. it can be opened with notepad or any other simple text editor

copy paste the line below and put your info in between the spoiler tags

[spoiler]	  [/spoiler]

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods

// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Assign a kit to Ajantis? -> Ajantis: Cavalier

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #6 // Assign a kit to Dynaheir? -> Dynaheir: Sorceror

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #10 // Assign a kit to Eldoth? -> Eldoth: Blade

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #13 // Assign a kit to Faldorn? -> Faldorn: Avenger

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #21 // Assign a kit to Imoen? -> Imoen: Swashbuckler

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #22 // Assign a kit to Kagain? -> Kagain: Barbarian

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #27 // Assign a kit to Khalid? -> Khalid: Wizard Slayer

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #29 // Assign a kit to Kivan? -> Kivan: Archer

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #35 // Assign a kit to Safana? -> Safana: Assassin

~SETUP-EASYTUTUNPCKITS.TP2~ #0 #39 // Assign a kit to Shar-Teel? -> Shar-Teel: Berserker

~SETUP-EASYTUTUSPAWNRANDOMIZER.TP2~ #0 #5 // EasyTutu Spawn Randomizer -> Base Spawn Chance: 80%

~SETUP-EASYTUTUSPAWNRANDOMIZER.TP2~ #0 #14 // Respawn Interval Selection -> Respawn Interval: 7 game days

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications: v20

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections: v20

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #8 // The BG1 NPC Project: Add Non-Joinable NPC portraits to quests and dialogues: v20

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #9 // The BG1 NPC Project: Ajantis Romance Core (teen content): v20

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #10 // The BG1 NPC Project: Branwen's Romance Core (teen content): v20

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #11 // The BG1 NPC Project: Coran's Romance Core (adult content): v20

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #12 // The BG1 NPC Project: Dynaheir's Romance Core (teen content): v20

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #13 // The BG1 NPC Project: Shar-Teel Relationship Core (adult content): v20

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #14 // The BG1 NPC Project: Xan's Romance Core (teen content): v20

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #15 // The BG1 NPC Project: Female Romance Challenges, Ajantis vs Xan vs Coran: v20

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #16 // The BG1 NPC Project: NPCs can be sent to wait in an inn: v20

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #18 // The BG1 NPC Project: Alora's Starting Location -> Alora Starts in Gullykin: v20

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #19 // The BG1 NPC Project: Eldoth's Starting Location -> Eldoth Starts in the Cloakwood Forest: v20

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #21 // The BG1 NPC Project: Quayle's Starting Location -> Quayle Starts at the Wyrm's Crossing: v20

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #23 // The BG1 NPC Project: Tiax's Starting Location -> Tiax Starts in Baldur's Gate: v20

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #25 // Jason Compton's Accelerated Banter Script: v20

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #26 // The BG1 NPC Project: Make Shar-Teel Unkillable Until In Party: v20

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #27 // The BG1 NPC Project: Bardic Reputation Adjustment: v20

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #30 // The BG1 NPC Project: Sarevok's Diary Adjustments -> SixofSpades Extended Sarevok's Diary: v20

~CORANBGFRIEND/CORANBGFRIEND.TP2~ #0 #0 // Coran's Extended BG Friendship Talks, v1, October 20, 2007: v3

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #200 // The BG1 NPC Project: Player-Initiated Dialogues: v20

off the top of my head I see nothing that would cause any issues.

I know that Imoen has an interjection with the normal dialog with Xzar and Montaron. When that happens you'll see her text in the dialog box and at the bottom in the same place you click 'continue' to get thru all of the cutscene dialog between Gorion & Sarevok will be either 'continue' to get back to Xzar & Montaron or 'end dialog' to exit. it won't be a selection option of normal text.

If you'd like to post the text that she says, we could determine at least if that is the correct dialog. In fact a screenshot (press print screen and then look in the Scrn

Shot folder for the correct image) of the game at the point of your problem may be the most helpful (at least for me).

Okay here are a few images:

Here you can see I'm having a conversation with Xzar, yet the camera moves to Imoen, despite me placing here all the way to the West next to crazy suicide guy: http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2679/baldr000cc.png

I don't see anything for Imoen herself to say during the conversation.

Here Imoen is trying to speak with me, or just staring vacantly: http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/779/baldr002.png

that is messed up. I was hoping for just some confusion on the new banters etc...

Please tell me that you did not install the games to Program Files and that you did fully patch both BG1 & BG2 as well as test start them to a saveable point prior to doing the EasyTutu conversion. (but don't lie to me just to make me feel better :p )

Uh, yes actually. After checking it seems they were installed to "Program Files (x86)". I'm using Windows 7 and I think I read on this site that Windows doesn't like you saving to the Program Files? If so, where should I move them and how should I do so?

I recently bought the Dungeons & Dragons Collection (Baldur's Gate 1&2 + expansions, Icewind Dale 1&2 + expansions, Planescape: Torment, and Temple of Elemental Evil) from GameStop's online store. I presume that these have the latest updates but I'm not sure. I did play the vanilla versions fine before attempting to mod.

the vanilla versions should play fine in Program Files but once you start to mod them, troubles abound.

Uninstall the original games, wipeout your EasyTutu setup... just get rid of it all and start over ^^

Then reinstall BG1 & BG2 to a directory outside of Program Files C:\Games or C:\Black Isle will do. doesn't matter so long as it is not within the Program Files directories, shoot you can put 'em on a different drive if you want.

Before installing any patches, start a game and (i can't remember exactly which screen it is on) the save game or load game screen is the version # in the lower left corner.

BG1 needs to be 5512 (its okay if it is already 5521)

BG2 needs to be 24698

if you don't have those versions find and apply the correct one

Then start and test out the games till you get to a saveable point to make sure that everything is fully working

Then run your EasyTutu installer. It will make a whole new installation so your originals are untouched.

At this point before doing any modding make sure you create a backup so that you can easily start over should have any problems. Simplest thing is to use something like 7zip or Winrar to create a 7z, zip or rar file of the entire directory of each game.

After that, feel free to go mod happy ^^

Well here's my installing problem, and I'm not sure if you'll be able to help:

I bought the games through GameStop's Impulse client, that functions a lot like Steam. I can see all the D&D games I bought in my library. I uninstalled them fine, but when I try to install them again, it doesn't ask me where I would like them to go. It just automatically starts installing directly to the same place. I don't suppose just moving the files out of "Program Files" would work, huh?

Oh, never mind. I figured that part out. I had to go into the client settings and change the default install location. A bit strange they made it so hard to find.

Okay, once those are installed to the new Black Isle folder outside Program Files, I check to make sure they play correctly and are the updated versions, and then proceed to modding! Awesome. One last question: is there a specific order I need to install these mods to avoid problems? The ones I wish to install are EasyTutu, NPC Kitpack, BG1 NPC Project, Coran's BG Friendship Talks, and the tw quest mods you suggested, "Unfinished Business" and "Mini Quests and Encounters".

Are there any other mods you suggest? This site seems a bit difficult to navigate. I wish I could just sort by Baldur's Gate only mods. Thanks again!

On the EasyTutu page (where you should have downloaded the installer) at the bottom is a recommended install order for some specific Tutu mods. some of which you have listed.

Follow that order first for any that you wish to install.

Then the other mods that are compatible with Tutu as well as BGT you can guesstimate their approximate place by looking at the BG1 sections of the BiG World Install PDF located at SHS forums (there are other language versions if English is not to your liking ^^ )

And any other mod not listed in any of the other locations, check it's readme and see if there is anything stated about install order. If not read up on the mod and determine what its major purpose is (quest mod, rule changes, convenience tweaks, npc mod, etc) Then put it in with similar mods of that type based on the PDF.

After you've figured out an install order, start installing. You'll see on the PDF that for some mods they don't install all at once but rather in different locations as some mod components will affect all of a certain file type when installed. So those need to wait till after all mods that add new files of that type are installed.

Personally, I'd start small and get the feel for the changes that you're going to experience. Its far better to add a few at a time than to dump an entire truckload of mods and then be asking every other map why something isn't working ^^

Tho personal recommendations for Tutu:

• Gavin is nice NPC to have around especially if you are playing a female character as there are romance/friendship type options if you wish to go that route. More so in his BG2 versions but those aren't playable in a Tutu game.
  • some components from BG2 tweaks -- increased stacks of the various stackable items, sellable items (can finally sell that staff from candlekeep after replacing it with something else)
  • if you think ammo for ranged weapons is hard to come by or afford, you may want to consider looking into iiProjectileRetrieval mod
  • Finch is a cool NPC personality wise etc, but she's been reported to have some issues so you can try her if you want, just be warned that there could be problems.

I wish I could just sort by Baldur's Gate only mods
http://modlist.pocketplane.net/index.php?ax=list&cat_id=98 might help with some of the trouble in finding mods. Not a complete exhaustive list tho most mods I know of are linked there. Some might steer you towards a specific german site as being the most up-to-date, only problem with that site is they don't deal with Tutu stuff at all. They're BiG World Project focused which means using BGT to get BG1 content.

Well for the most part everything is fine. Party members can now talk to me and say things during conversations with NPCs. However there is still the problem of whenever I want to say something the screen moves to Imoen's perspective and uses her portrait. And it's just her too. Removing her from the party fixes the problem. But... I want to keep her in my party. So it looks like I'll have to deal with it for now. At least its just a cosmetic glitch.

Thanks for all your help though!

I know that if an NPC is set to initiate dialog with a party member and if they don't have a specific check for Player1 or Protagonist then they will target the first party member they see. If it happens to be Imoen, the game will use her portrait and center on her. Should be able to have some conversations that are centered around your protagonist. Also if you've rearranged portrait order so that Imoen is first in formation, whenever you click to talk to an NPC she'll be the one doing the talking.

that's the simplest thing I can think of that would give the behaviour you are describing.

If it's happening consistently and you've tried to initiate conversation with different party members... I'm at a loss then :(

Archived