(BG:EE) Automatic Proficiencies

Nifft

I'm working on a mod which will give every character a large number of automatic proficiencies at character creation. The idea is to make a play-through more interesting (and less frustrating) in the face of massive weapon breakage everywhere, and also to nerf the PCs a bit -- you can't start out Specialized, you have to get through 1st level with mere Proficiency.

What I did is create a bunch of new .SPL effects which apply opcode 233, and put these spells as AP_SPxxxx in the various CLAB*.2da files for each class.

This works. Mostly.

One ugly thing is happening, though: a multi-class Fighter/Cleric or Fighter/Druid gains dots in weapons he can't use, and I can't figure out any way to get rid of those proficiency dots.

Similarly, I'd like for some Ranger kits to not get free TWF dots, but I can't figure out how to get rid of those either.

Any advice?

Thanks, -- N

One ugly thing is happening, though: a multi-class Fighter/Cleric or Fighter/Druid gains dots in weapons he can't use, and I can't figure out any way to get rid of those proficiency dots.
You need to remove all proficiencies from fighter's main SPL and instead make three secondary SPLs (for F/Cs, F/Ds and fighters).

Then make three EFFs, each casting one of those new SPLs at the target (146th opcode).

Finally, use your main SPL to target all existing fighter classes with 177th opcode. For F/C and F/C/M you need F/C's EFF, for F/D - their own, for all the others - fighter's.

This is working. I have a bunch of re-coding to do, but this will cover the cases. Thank you!

One odd thing, though: when I assign the Proficiencies directly in the .SPL called by the class's CLAB* file, the proficiencies appear on the character sheet during character creation -- after the "Assign Proficiency" dots screen, unfortunately, but still visible when the character sheet is displayed towards the end.

However, when I use your SPL -> EFF -> SPL chain, the proficiencies are applied in Candlekeep, and I see the SPL name in my message window.

This isn't necessarily a problem, I'm just finding it curious that the SPL would execute at one point, and the SPL -> EFF -> SPL would execute at a very different point.

Archived