[Windows] Truetype font support broken on Windows?

skyhawk

So GOG had a big sale on all the old Infinity Engine games a little while back, and i've got the Baldur bug again. I was expecting to have issues getting the games to be nice on modern hardware, but I'd forgotten how horrible the text rendering was, especially now that I'm on a 2560x1600 display.

I'm running on Windows 7 x64, and this issue has been consistent between the 0.7.2 release download, as well as the two lastest BuildBot downloads I've tried.

I've taken the clean GOG download, and copied it to a new folder. The only change I've made was copying framd.ttf from the Windows fonts folder into Overrides. I tried another font too, same result.

BG.cfg.txt

With this config, the game runs fine. (At least, it gets to the character generator screen which is as far as I've tested in GemRB)

If I change the NORMAL font entry in unhardcoded\bg1\fonts.2da to framd, the game crashes after the last intro movie. The last entry in the console window is

[ResourceManager]: Found 'guistmsc.bam' in 'chitin.key'

GemRB.log on pastebin

I'm pretty much fresh out of ideas. Any new ones over here?

gemrb.cfg appears to be a generic testing configuration, and entirely overriden by whichever config file is specified by -c.

I tried copying the CustomFontPath line from my BG.cfg file, and that made no difference.

I've been changing the NAME column, not the RESREF column - I've followed along with the wiki as best I can tell....

if you dont have a ttfimporter.dll in plugins then you dont have the ttf plugin. ill ask on IRC about adding it to the windows buildbot.

you will have to build it yourself if you want to use TTF fonts.

(BTW when i say gemrb.cfg i mean what ever config file you are using regardless of its name. in this case the file you are passing with -c option.)

Edit: about the log: you would need to paste the console output and not the log file since the log file doesnt get started till after plugin loading. dont worry about it tho since we already know you dont have the plugin.

If I really wanted to, I think I could play along with the build instructions for Windows. But I really just want to kill critters and get XP, not futz around with compilers and build environments. I'll wait for BuildBot to (hopefully) supply a build with the ttf plugin.

Thanks for the help.

Archived