GemRB 0.8.0 on Android with BGT Weidu, BG1 playthrough reproducable crash save

FuguTabetai

Hello,

Thanks for your great work on GemRB. I've recently been playing around with it. I purchased the D&D pack from GOG, and installed many mods as per

http://www.gog.com/news/enhance_the_gameplay_in_your_edition_of_baldurs_gate_from_gogcom

I am on version gemrb-0.8.0-git-5aa84783.apk.

Specifically, I installed BGII Fixpack, BGT-WeiDU, BG1 Unfinished Business, BG2 Unfinished Business, set up Hybrid music, BG2 Tweak Pack, and widescreen mod at 960x600 (for my 1920x1200 Kindle Fire HD 8.9".) I also set up TTF fonts to use droidsans-regular, which works nice.

Things seem to work very well. I rolled up a character, and got started. I played BG1 many years ago once (never finished!) and barely remember anything. One thing I do remember is obsessively trying to clear off the fog of war completely from every map I was on.

On the second adventure map, after my mentor is killed, the game kept crashing when I tried to walk to a specific place. I have attached my save file. If I just walk east a few steps the game crashes back to the home screen (no error dialog saying that something went wrong.) I've also attached my GemRB.cfg if that is useful, and my GemRB.log. I didn't see anything in there that was suspicious. Well, except for the errors about a bunch of missing 0.cre files.

I'm a programmer by trade, so am interested in finding out what is going on. Are there better ways to debug? I've done a bit of android programming, but very little debugging. I guess I could try to build the source myself, then attach and run and watch STDOUT. That should presumably have more information than the log file.

Is the log appended to or re-created each time? I assume it is re-created, but without timestamps on the log entries it is hard to tell.

Files:

GemRB config: http://pastebin.com/KvSWNvDw

GemRB log: http://pastebin.com/4K6yKfG8

Save game: http://rapidshare.com/files/2330209866/000000009-East%20and%20Crash.rar

Thanks for the reply, I'll see if I can get some time while on my business trip to poke into it.

On the plus side, I've been able to get up to the Friendly Arms Inn and pick up some fellow adventure seekers without any further problems, so that is great!

Following up my own post, the same save file does not crash on windows. It does indicate that my Android device crashes in an encounter with a whole bunch of friendly black bears. They didn't seem friendly for long though, and then I died.

I'd like to duplicate the crash on android running from a shell so I can see STDERR/STDOUT there, so I'll see if I can get that done.

I'd like to duplicate the crash on android running from a shell so I can see STDERR/STDOUT there, so I'll see if I can get that done.

waste of time. the gemrb.log file has all that already; you need an actual debugger.

if it doesnt crash on windows gemrb, but does on android that can mean the crash is already fixed in git. that missing cre file is a concern, but i have no idea what your mods are doing. Maybe yoru mods use resources requireing a plugin not available to android without building yourself. maybe PNG or Ogg?

As for debugging, you'd need to compile and install as per gemrb/android/README and run

ndk-debug

inside the build directory, which gives you a linked gdb. Check here for two minor fixes you have to apply to successfully build the apk.

Add.: I don't have any idea what could cause the crash, which is why I'm pointing you towards debugging as per SyntaxError's suggestion.

Thanks for the replies.

I finally got the build to succeed, so I'll push it to my device and see if that fixes anything.

I don't know what the mods are doing either. I'm interested in trying to debug this thing on android anyway, and it is a good chance to play around with the android environment.

Archived