Install order advice requested

Guest Rhastor

Guest Rhastor

So, I recently spent fifteen hours installing BGT four times, because that's apparently the kind of person I am. After my fourth install, I am using this install order:

1. BG2 Fixpack
2. BGT Weidu
3. Ascension
4. Romantic Encounters for BG1
5. Romantic Encounters for BG2
6. BG1 NPC Project
7. Beaurin Legacy
8. Imoen Friendship
9. Rogue Rebalancing
10. Sword Coast Stratagems (rejected Icewind Dale spells and almost all spell changes via the ini)
11. NPC Strongolds v8.1
12. Tweaks Anthology

I chose to install NPC Strongholds after SCS based on the ordering in the "EE Mod Install Order Guide" - but is that really right? The SCS readme suggests otherwise, and I am worried I won't find out until my saves are corrupted a month from now, halfway through SoA.

5 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

Rhastor, I would suggest you to use the order suggested by the BWP guide. For BGT it is the best guide out there.

But I think that is out of date, while the two mods I am most concerned about have been updated fairly recently.

I've just glanced through the code of NPC Strongholds (a mod I'm not familiar with). My tentative guess is that it isn't modifying very much that SCS modifies, and you ought to be able to install them in either order without bugs. (But it's only a guess - I haven't done an install check, much less any playtesting).

In general, the reason to install SCS last is that it can react to other mods' content, usually by giving smart AI to them. That applies here too - a few creatures in NPC strongholds use vanilla-game scripts, which SCS notices and uses as a cue to upgrade the AI of those creatures. So I'd lean towards saying 'install SCS last'. But it is not a big deal at all.

Guest Rhastor
On 5/27/2020 at 1:24 PM, DavidW said:

I've just glanced through the code of NPC Strongholds (a mod I'm not familiar with). My tentative guess is that it isn't modifying very much that SCS modifies, and you ought to be able to install them in either order without bugs. (But it's only a guess - I haven't done an install check, much less any playtesting).

In general, the reason to install SCS last is that it can react to other mods' content, usually by giving smart AI to them. That applies here too - a few creatures in NPC strongholds use vanilla-game scripts, which SCS notices and uses as a cue to upgrade the AI of those creatures. So I'd lean towards saying 'install SCS last'. But it is not a big deal at all.

Thank you for checking that for me. I could not ask for a more authoritative source.

Your mod is amazing. I was going to quibble about the behavior of mages' "cast previously" mechanic (there are encounters where it's inappropriate, like one mage in Carnival whom you are prompted to call out for not being a real mage, but then he has "cast previously" mirror image! I wouldn't have said that if there were five of him.) However, I then noticed you included a widget that allows you to fine tune enemy behavior, and I just set mages' precasting down to tactical so that no one casts mirror image "previously". I am quite impressed by the level of customization your mod allows -- it's really beyond the call of duty. It's also kicking my ass on hardcore, thoroughly dashing my dreams of a no-reload run. I can't imagine playing on insane.

Just one small note, though: dogs consistently disappear into thin air a round or two into combat, and I think this might have o do with your "wolves and wild dogs" component. (Honestly, I'm so scared of combat at this point that I hardly mind.)