Are the files the same in bg1ee & bg2ee?

Awachi

As in, if I mod stuff (not areas or scripts etc, obvs) for one, can I use the same code for the other? Looking mostly at items and spells. 

Edited by Awachi

Some resources with the same name/label are the same across both games. Others aren't.

One example I've encountered in my own modding experience: many of the battle songs (BC1/2, BD1/2, etc) are just completely different songs between the two games. They're also in different places in the IDS/2DA reference, and those numbers are what you actually need.

Then there's the tavern music - tav1 through tav4. Same actual music, but BG2 puts a bunch of space in it.

Or there's more subtle things. I wanted to identify fireshields based on their missile? Can't just use a magic number; there are more missiles in BGEE than BG2EE, because of SoD stuff, and those (new in 2.6) missiles got numbers at the end. I have to read the IDS instead.

Basically, don't just assume. Always check.

I got ahead of myself after seeing the first few of any particular resource tending to match.

7 hours ago, jmerry said:

there are more missiles in BGEE than BG2EE, because of SoD stuff, and those (new in 2.6) missiles got numbers at the end. I have to read the IDS instead

This is not what I wanted to hear. So if I make a mod for bgee, it won't work on bgee+sod? 

That "extra missiles in the IDS" bit? I don't have SoD. The SoD missiles are in BGEE even if you don't have that expansion, so SoD can add on cleanly. A BGEE mod should work in BGEE with SoD just fine.

Transitioning between BGEE and BG2EE is where you have to watch out. Things usually work the same, but there are always a few little traps.