Needing to get a GFX card

Jinnai

@Jinnai - that is an extremely encouraging statement.  To many people get an inferior, more expensive, and buggy computer because they think building a computer from scratch is hard/complicated and that they won't be able to figure it out or screw up.  I can put together a computer from scratch and install Windows in 1 hour, some one who has never done it before can do it in 3 hours easily, and that is if they are taking there time.

Yea. In my case this was a gift and as I said, save for the lack of an AGP slot, it was far beyond my previous computer. It was also the price. It was about $300 after rebate, so i knew atleast i'd be getting a lot of stuff saudered on.

It isn't too difficult. The hardest part really is making sure you line up the pins and know not to try to jam something in. If it doesn't fit smoothly, don't force it.

In my case though, it just came down to lack of money to custom build it. And it does take a bit more, unless your going to use extremely cheap parts.

@CaenJade:

STill i'd like your opinion on whether to buy a newer slower video card with more memory vs. an older, faster video card with less memory usually (although sometimes the same) if their core system is exactly the same. I have a bit cuz i'll be buying anime for my club and get reimbursed so it'll be a couple of weeks anyway before i get a card.

That depends on your system, if you could get this info

1. Current video card (maker and chipset)

2. speed of ram (266mhz, 33mhz, etc)

3. your motherboard (maker and chipset)

4. what games you play the most

Some general rules for buying a computer people should use to avoid problems (this is not targeted at you Jinnai, I just post this whenever a conversation like this comes up, for people who might not know)

1. BUILD IT YOURSELF

2. DO RESEARCH

3. CHEAPER = PIECE OF CRAP (about 95% of the time)

now some more specific ones

4. building it yourself is always cheaper unless you break #5

5. never pay less then $700 ($1000 if you can manage)

6. if you can't build it yourself buy it from a big name retailer (Alienware, Dell, Gateway, etc) not Wal-Mart or "Bob's House of Computer Thingies" (you will pay more, but get less less stress, downtime, and violent thoughts involving chainsaws/explosives/blowtorches)

7. if a part is much cheaper then the MSRP, avoid it like the plague (see #6)

8. BUILD IT YOURSELF, DO RESEARCH, and CHEAPER = PIECE OF CRAP

9. skip the top-of-the-line stuff (the stuff released in the past 6-12 months), you don't need it and it's a waste of money

Finally, the most important rule

10. if you buy a computer (parts) from Ebay you might just be the dumbest person on the planet

Guest Aristothenes

Your max spec for an nVidia card are wrong.

Best PCI card is actually a 5700LE PCI.

Get one from newegg.com, you won't be disappointed (It's the fastest PCI there is).

Archived