Issues with custom auto-save names

Guest Kiana Warde

Guest Kiana Warde

I have an issue in BG1 after adding several mods I started getting an insufficient disc space error.  After some searching I learned the likely culprit was the customized auto-save name mod.  After uninstalling this mod, the error persisted.  When I attempted to re-install this mod I now get errors.  I am assuming this means that the mod did not un-install correctly, is there anything I can do?  I've copy-pasted the relevant piece of the log files, as I couldn't find a way to upload the file directly.

Install Component [Personalize Automatic Save Names]?
[N]o, [Q]uit or choose one:
 1] Use scheme: 000000000-Protagonist-Save-Name
 2] Use scheme: 000000000-Protagonist Save-Name
 3] Use scheme: 000000000-(Protagonist)-Save-Name
 4] Use scheme: 000000000-(Protagonist) Save-Name
 5] Use scheme: 000000000-[Protagonist]-Save-Name
 6] Use scheme: 000000000-[Protagonist] Save-Name
Uninstalling All Other Subcomponents of [Personalize Automatic Save Names]
Done Uninstalling All Other Subcomponents of [Personalize Automatic Save Names]

Installing [Personalize Automatic Save Names -> Use scheme: 000000000-Protagonist-Save-Name] [v16]
Creating 1 directory
Copying and patching 1 file ...
weidu_external/cdtweaks/always_checks.tpa copied to weidu_external/cdtweaks/backup/3290/always_checks.tpa, 125 bytes
Copied [./inline/always_checks.tpa] to [weidu_external/cdtweaks/always_checks.tpa]
Copied [./inline/always_checks.tpa] to [weidu_external/cdtweaks/always_checks.tpa]
BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [.\lang\en_us\SOD-DLC\DEFAULT.BIF]
BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [.\cache\SOD-DLC\DEFAULT.BIF]
[.\SOD-DLC\DEFAULT.BIF] 174004 bytes, 71 files, 0 tilesets
loading 1 tra file
[cdtweaks/languages/english/ee.tra] has 1 translation strings
ERROR: [savename.2da] -> [override/savename.2da] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("Uninitialised return value: new_string"))
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Personalize Automatic Save Names -> Use scheme: 000000000-Protagonist-Save-Name], rolling back to previous state
Unable to Unlink [weidu_external/cdtweaks/backup/3290/OTHER.3290]: Unix.Unix_error(1, "unlink", "weidu_external/cdtweaks/backup/3290/OTHER.3290")
[weidu_external/cdtweaks/backup/3290/UNSETSTR.3290] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
Will uninstall   1 files for [CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2] component 3290.
  Restoring backed-up [weidu_external/cdtweaks/backup/3290/always_checks.tpa]
weidu_external/cdtweaks/backup/3290/always_checks.tpa copied to weidu_external/cdtweaks/always_checks.tpa, 125 bytes
Uninstalled      1 files for [CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2] component 3290.
Unable to Unlink [weidu_external/cdtweaks/backup/3290/READLN.3290]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "weidu_external/cdtweaks/backup/3290/READLN.3290")
Unable to Unlink [weidu_external/cdtweaks/backup/3290/READLN.3290.TEXT]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "weidu_external/cdtweaks/backup/3290/READLN.3290.TEXT")
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 1010 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 1070 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 1075 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 1080 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 1120 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 1251 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 1252 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 1253 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 1254 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 1255 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 1256 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 1270 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 2060 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 2090 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 2100 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 2140 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 2200 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 2320 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 2330 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 2339 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 2360 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 2380 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 2351 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 2420 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 2430 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 2520 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 2530 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 2590 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 3008 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 3040 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 3050 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 3070 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 3080 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 3090 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 3100 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 3110 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 3121 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 3125 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 3205 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 3230 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 3320 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 4000 Installed
CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2  0 4170 Installed
ERROR: Failure("Uninitialised return value: new_string")
Please make a backup of the file: SETUP-CDTWEAKS.DEBUG and look for support at: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forum/34-tweaks-anthology-forum/
Using Language [English]
[English] has 2 top-level TRA files
[cdtweaks/languages/english/game.tra] has 517 translation strings
[cdtweaks/languages/english/weidu.tra] has 388 translation strings

Guest Galenorn

I am getting this too (BGEE) after trying to update some settings it started throwing errors and at this point the above is the only issue erroring after a few run-throughs though a few others did at first. Every time I run the setup it errors on the personalize automatic save names. See below for the error message as I got it. Doesn't matter which option (other than No) I use, it throws the same error.

Even with it not seemingly installed, the quick/auto saves are now not working and giving the insufficient disk space warning.

Installing [Personalize Automatic Save Names -> Use scheme: 000000000-Protagonist-Save-Name] [v16]
ERROR: [savename.2da] -> [override/savename.2da] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("Uninitialised return value: new_string"))

ERROR Installing [Personalize Automatic Save Names -> Use scheme: 000000000-Protagonist-Save-Name], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall   0 files for [CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2] component 3290.
Uninstalled      0 files for [CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2] component 3290.
ERROR: Failure("Uninitialised return value: new_string")
Please make a backup of the file: SETUP-CDTWEAKS.DEBUG and look for support at: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forum/34-tweaks-anthology-forum/
Using Language [English]

Guest Galenorn

Thanks for the response. I can report a partial success with the patch you gave above. 

The install for the personalized save names went through smoothly with the patch, however the game is still throwing the insufficient disk space warning and failing to save when I try to quick save or trigger an autosave going between areas (auto chapter saves do work for some reason).

If it helps, I have the mod set up for BG2EE as well and it is working fine there with the personalized saves even without the above patch. Also for BGEE the problems triggered after I went back in to change some of the active components and several components threw errors including Change Viconia's Skin Color to Dark Blue and More Interjections. These stopped throwing errors with later attempts, only the personalized save names continued to error.

All in all, I love the mod pack and am really enjoying the QOL changes and in particular the shapeshifter druid updates (currently running a solo werewolf challenge to see how far I can take it through the series).

My guess is that some other mod already tinkered with some of the the savegame names and causes this Tweaks component to fail or not work correctly.

You could perform a changelog on the file if you want to get to the bottom of it. For this, create a copy of "setup-cdtweaks.exe" (or any other setup-*.exe) and rename it to "weidu.exe", then execute this command from the command line in the game directory:

weidu.exe --change-log savename.2da

It should list all mod components that modified the file.

It also creates copies of earlier revisions of the file if there were mod components listed by the command above. One of them might fix the quicksave/autosave issues by renaming them back to "savename.2da" and putting them into the override folder of the game. Make a backup of the original "savename.2da" in the override folder first.

Guest Galenorn

The only mods installed are DLC merger (because I have SoD included) and this mod pack. As best as I can tell, the only savename.2da file is the one created after using your patch (any prior versions were likely deleted). There was a period with no versions of that file in the override folder pre patch (I had looked for it). As the insufficient disk space warning existed even when there was no savename.2da file, I suspect a different problem. 

Even removing the override folder entirely had the insufficient disk space warning persisting.

I then ran a file integrity scan via steam which had 33 problems show. This repair cleared the insufficient disk space warning and allowed quick saves to work again but without the mod name changes. Trying to reinstall the component threw the error saying DLC merger needed (see below), this persists even after reinstalling DLC merger. Other components still appear to be working such as the out of combat move speed buff. 

At this point I am not going to worry about getting this component to work as I can always make custom saves manually if I need to (and generally do anyway). 

Thanks for trying and hope this feedback is helpful.

FAILURE:
DLC Merger is required before mods can be installed on this game. Check the readme for more information and a link to download DLC Merger.

Will uninstall   0 files for [CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2] component 3290.
Uninstalled      0 files for [CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2] component 3290.
ERROR: Failure("DLC Merger is required before mods can be installed on this game. Check the readme for more information and a link to download DLC Merger.")

Guest Galenorn

Update:

I was getting a number of in game oddities suggesting some components were broken, in particular some dialogue options related to telling companions to go to inn not showing up. Attempting to reinstall components showed the same DLCmerger error as previously reported showing up on all components tested. 

In the end I did a full delete of mods (and in particular also the disabled dlc folder), repair of base game files and reinstall of mods from scratch. This worked and even the Personalize Automatic Save Names is now working. Still not sure what originally went wrong, but it all seems to be working correctly now.