Potential bug with trueclass bard's Bard Song in Rogue Rebalancing

testlum

Hello folks, I'm trying to chase down an odd issue that popped up in my current EET install. I have Rogue Rebalancing installed and recruited Garrick. I noticed that when he was singing, the +1 to THAC0 and saving throws was not appearing on my character panel.

Deciding to test with a new character, it wasn't specific to Garrick.

Spoiler

2023-09-09-19-52-20-Baldur-s-Gate-Enhanc

I did a little digging and found AP_FJBARD in the CLABB01.2da file inside my override. Removing that entry from the .2da file and creating a new bard character seemed to grant me the correct bonuses when singing.

Spoiler

2023-09-09-20-15-44-Baldur-s-Gate-Enhanc

Now, AP_FJBARD doesn't seem to come from RR itself, so I'm not quite sure where to follow up. I'm not even sure if this is an issue only for my own install. Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

The bit you deleted is not from any mod. It's vanilla EE material. The FJBARD spell does one thing; it changes the bard's song to FJBARDB. Which, in vanilla, is standard bard song. Fear protection and a luck bonus, affecting the whole party regardless of distance. Luck bonuses don't show up on the character sheet, by the way.

I have no idea why your bard even had a song without that CLAB entry.

That makes more sense. Presumably, those CLAB entries are executed in order - the one in the first row comes before the one in the third row at the same level. So RR sets the bard song, and then the vanilla spell it neglected sets the bard song again, overwriting that change. Oops.

It seems like the sensible thing to do would be to replace the existing "set bard song" effect in the CLAB with the new effect, rather than just adding it in.

...huh, it looks like I somehow got hold of an older version of the mod. The setup file for rr by FredrikLingen uses:

COPY_EXISTING ~CLABBA01.2DA~ override                         // True Bard ability table
  SET_2DA_ENTRY 3 1 3 ~AP_RR#BDF01~                           // Assign the new song to the True Bard
  PRETTY_PRINT_2DA
BUT_ONLY
END 

while the setup file I installed has different code and an apparent typo (FJBLADE instead of FJBARD):

COPY_EXISTING ~CLABBA01.2DA~ override                         // True Bard ability table
  PATCH_IF INDEX_BUFFER (CASE_INSENSITIVE EXACT_MATCH AP_FJBLADE) >= 0 BEGIN // Swap BG2 Fixpack fix with RR song
    REPLACE_TEXTUALLY "AP_fjbard" "AP_RR#BDF01"
  END ELSE BEGIN
    LPF set_clab_2da_entries
      INT_VAR
        f_MinLevel = 1
        f_MaxLevel = 1
      STR_VAR
        f_Entry = ~AP_RR#BDF01~                                 // Assign the new song to the True Bard
    END
    PRETTY_PRINT_2DA
  END
BUT_ONLY
END                    

Supposedly both are v4.92. Oh well, mystery solved!   

Edited by testlum

Not a typo, or rather not a typo in the way you're thinking; FJBLADE also exists and is the spell that switches to Blade song (similar to vanilla bard song, but it affects all allies in a standard medium radius and it doesn't scale with levels. That appears in CLABBA02, of course. So there's one code block to handle blades, one slightly different for bards, and the mod tried to clone and edit but failed to update everything needed.