Are these changes still necessary?

In bg1fix.tpa you have the following line:

Spoiler
LAF edit_creature INT_VAR tv=1 STR_VAR creature=~joia sakul vayya naaman cuchol beyn dezkie garan~ tv=1 editstring=~class=>MAGE~ END

These guys are originally fighter/mages or mage/thief.

Cuchol for example is a level 8/8 fighter/mage. He gets changed to a mage, and somewhere else has his level reduced to 7, Thac0 changed to 18...etc

Why not keep them as multiclass? The scripts exist.

Edit: This probably belongs in the pinned v35 questions / comments thread. @DavidW or another mod can move it there.

Edited by WanderingScholar
On 1/12/2024 at 6:06 PM, WanderingScholar said:

Edit: This probably belongs in the pinned v35 questions / comments thread. @DavidW or another mod can move it there.

No, it's fine in its own post.

As for the main question: it's been fifteen years since I wrote that, and I don't really keep dev notes on SCS except what gets into the comments, but I think what was going on there is that these were characters who don't really look like fighter/mages from the way they act in the game. Vay-ya, for instance, fights with a dagger, has a standard MAGE script, and uses a mage animation. (I'm not sure all the cases are that clear, to be fair.) Since oBG was pretty careless with class allocations, I had a fairly low bar for tweaking them.

Feel free to make the case for specific ones to be taken off that list, I haven't gone systematically through it just now (I just happened to recall Vay-ya).

4 hours ago, DavidW said:

Feel free to make the case for specific ones to be taken off that list, I haven't gone systematically through it just now (I just happened to recall Vay-ya).

I guess my argument would probably be that single class mages vastly outnumber multi-classed ones throughout the game, so it might be nice for variety sake to preserve the few exceptions that exist. 

I was asking more out of curiosity. 

Thanks anyway.