Timing Mode 1 vs Timing Mode 9

The difference between those timing modes is sharpest with stat-modifying opcodes. For those, timing mode 1 changes the base value of that stat for the creature, and does not leave any sort of effect behind that can be reversed. The Manual of Bodily Health applies +1 CON with timing mode 1.

Timing mode 9, on the other hand, leaves a permanent stat-altering effect in place. That effect will endure even through death and resurrection, but can still be removed. The Dragon Disciple's CON bonus at levels 5 and 15 applies +1 CON each time with timing mode 9. So if a (non-protagonist) DD leaves the party, their kit abilities are removed and they lose that CON bonus. Bring them back, and the abilities are reapplied.

Neither of these effects would work properly if the timing modes were swapped.

Thank you very much, jmerry.

From what I understand, timing mode 1 or 9 would not make a difference when the effects are applied to the protagonist if their death results in the end of the game?

Oh okay, thank you.

In my specific case the opcodes whose timing I'd like to change from 9 to 1 are 101 (Protection: from Opcode), 208 (HP: Minimum Limit), and 295 (Graphics: Disable Permanent Death) and only apply to the protagonist. Do you see any possible problem with the change in this case?