How do I go to a map I made in game?

Hi all!

Making my very first mod here :) Hope this is the correct place to pose this question.

Anyway, I've successfully made an interior. I think anyway, since I can pull up the interior in NearInfinity and it looks good to me. It's got some actors in it too, and I can see the files in my override folder.

But when I go to teleport to the area in-game, it doesn't show up as an option and the CLUAConsole says that it's a nil value. What gives with that? Do I need to make an installer or something with a setup-exe like completed mods have, or...?

Just a little confused here. I'm coming from Morrowind modding, which is very very different than BG modding 😅

As for the menu where you can select an area and go there by clicking a button, it's populated in BGEE.LUA - look for CheatAreas in that file, including variants such as CheatAreasArena or CheatAreasExpansion for the different campaigns.

52 minutes ago, szef said:

Are you typing: C:MoveToArea('area') - where area is the name of your .are file? ( Don't forget the: '   ' )

CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("area") - is for old, original games, not the Enhanced Editions.

This worked!! Thank you so much. I was using the command for the old games, not the EE. Whoops.

Got a few things to work out with the interior, but I want to try to figure things out myself before coming back here :) 

45 minutes ago, jmerry said:

As for the menu where you can select an area and go there by clicking a button, it's populated in BGEE.LUA - look for CheatAreas in that file, including variants such as CheatAreasArena or CheatAreasExpansion for the different campaigns.

Oh, I didn't know that it was populated by the lua files. That's pretty neat.

6 hours ago, jmerry said:

As for the menu where you can select an area and go there by clicking a button, it's populated in BGEE.LUA - look for CheatAreas in that file

And how to add my own area to CheatAreas in BGEE.lua? Also do you know how to give name to the area? Name visible when entering location in game, for example: "Hive", "Ragpicker's Square" etc.

I can't find information about this aspect.

There is no place for a name in the ARE file. There are three places that you can name an area:

- (All games) Areas that are on the world map can be named in that entry in the WMP file. There are two slots for "name" and "tooltip" string references in the area entry. I see no reason to ever make those two different. These names are, of course, only visible on the world map screen.

- (EEs) The cheat travel menu, if present, is populated in a lua file; BGEE.LUA in BGEE/BG2EE. Search for CheatAreas and copy an existing element; this includes a name for each area, as a literal string. If you don't find any ... well, then, it isn't in your game.

- (PST/PSTEE) MAPNAME.2DA pairs area resource references to string references. Just add a row for your area.

2 hours ago, szef said:

Also do you know how to give name to the area? Name visible when entering location in game, for example: "Hive", "Ragpicker's Square" etc.

This is MAPNAME.2DA. It is available in PST/PSTEE, and not in any other games.

Edited by jmerry