Improved NPC Management component and known spells

I first observed this when switching mages to sorcerers, that the mage’s known spells are treated as the sorcerer’s known spells, so the sorcerer would end up with more spells that he/she should legally have.

A more severe case happened to me recently when I tried switching Faldorn to a shaman (I was at level 6-7ish), that she ran out of spells to choose during the leveling process after the class change, and the UI hang there with no way to go out. I had modded my game so druids have a slightly lower number of spells available, which could be a contributing factor, but on the other hand I also had IWD spells and SCS new spells installed, which should more than even out my tweak to the Druid spell availability. So it looks like a bug that can trigger for edge cases.

Maybe for sorcerers and shamans an additional background action can be performed to first clear the known spells before leveling up?

Yes, that's something I missed. To complicate matters, the SCS Improved NPC Management component is slated to be replaced with a new version (currently beta in ToF) once I work out the kinks in the latter, but it's plausible this is a problem there too.