[35.15] Another glitch in the provisions system.

Guest some dude

Guest some dude

I was testing the provisions system all around, checking if Cromwells forging had any effect on it(since I had "Allow Cromwell to Upgrade Watcher's Keep Items" and "Adjust Cromwell's Forging Time to 24 hours" from Tweaks Anthology installed) and if disabling the Stronghold Provisions had worked, all seemed fine.

But then I rested in the sewers under slums, got waked by some kobolds, killed them with ctrl+y and rested again. Then strange things started to happen.

Sometimes the text "You have replenished your provisions at the inn." comes when resting outside and gives me +1 provisions. Then I went to the inn at the City Gates and it replenished my provisions to 4 event though I had maximum of 5 provisions in my settings. I went to sleep in the tombs next and sometimes the "You have replenished your provisions at the inn." comes again and gives me +1 provisions. But only sometimes. I depleted my provisions and then went to one of the Inns in the Waukeens Promenade and it replenished the provisions to 5. Then again after multiple resting in the tombs the text comes and it replenished the provisions to 5 this time.

I think the cause might have been that the short ctrl+y battle with the kobolds roused the nearby enemies and they started walking towards me and I rested again before they could reach me. I remember some hobgoblins attacking me soon after I had rested. I think that somehow it messed up the provisions system permanently.

After much testing I can say that sleeping in the sewers under slums or anywhere else will not mess up the system if you make sure there are no enemies creeping towards you when you decide to rest. This becomes important since in Stratagems the nearby enemies will join a battle that is fought near them.

I was able to produce the bug two times when I still had no idea what was causing it. Since I have become to suspect that the unseen enemy approaching thing is causing it I have not been able to reproduce it but I will keep on trying when I have time. The trick is to get the enemies near enough to notice the battle but far enough not to reach me before I rest.

Also I noticed that on rare occasions the game skips provisions, either they don't replenish at inn at all or a single provision does not decrease at rest. This is not as big problem because it won't mess up the system. But it is a bug nonetheless.

And since it says in the readme that "There are a small number of additional ways to replenish Provisions in the game." I need to ask what they are and did these additional ways had anything to do with the system breaking?

Game is BG2EE and I had about half of Ascension v2.0.28, The Wheels of Prophecy v8.5, most of Stratagems v35.15, and most of Tweaks Anthology v16 installed in that order.
I had "Revised resting: resting in the wild uses up provisions" installed but I did NOT install "Revised inn rooms: more expensive, more benefits" and the Stronghold Provisions and Sea Voyage Provisions had been disabled from the .ini file.
I was testing with two self made characters + Imoen, Mincs and Jaheira from the starting dungeon. I say this because Imoen is not supposed to leave that place, although I don't believe it had any effect here. Also Minsc replenishing the provisions as a ranger had nothing to do with this, since I purposelly avoided forests.

OK, I'm not 100% sure what's going on there but I can see one issue that might explain at least quite a lot of it. Try  hotfixing with the attached: put ui_inn_label.tph into stratagems/sfo2e/lua and camping.tpa into stratagems/gameplay.

as for the 'small number of additional ways': they're both in BG. If you kill the polar bear on the ice island it replenishes your provisions, and on Balduran's Isle you can ask Kaishas to restock you (since there's no inn on the isle). I don't think either can be causing your issues.

camping.tpa ui_inn_label.tph

Guest some dude

I don't know what those files did but they might have solved the biggest problem. After re-installing with them I have not been able to reproduce the provision system breaking bug. Not even when I have been able to present the situtation where there are enemies walking towards me when I rest.

Inns now also always restock full 5 provisions(which is the amount I'm using in the game).

I suppose this fix will be in 35.16? Do you think all this works for BGEE SoD too?

The game still skips provisions sometimes when you rest outside. About 1 out of 5 times in dungeons, and somewhat more rarely in wilderness. It won't say "You have replenished your provisions at the inn." or anything, the provisions just won't decrease when you rest. I don't see this as too big deal, but of course good if you can find some way to fix it.

Yes, it's in 35.16, and ought to work on BGEE as well as BG2EE.

I've very occasionally managed to reproduce the bug where your provisions don't decrease on rest (mostly when I rest twice in very quick succession) but I can't get it to break reliably enough to try to fix it. I suspect it's just a glitch in the engine, unfortunately - inevitably this component is a bit of a hack, since it's adding functionality the core game didn't support using the UI as a workaround.

2 hours ago, Guest some dude said:

The game still skips provisions sometimes when you rest outside. About 1 out of 5 times in dungeons, and somewhat more rarely in wilderness. It won't say "You have replenished your provisions at the inn." or anything, the provisions just won't decrease when you rest. I don't see this as too big deal, but of course good if you can find some way to fix it.

I guess for now we can just assume the party decides to fast sometimes. Health reasons, you know, too much bread and grubs. 😆

Guest some dude

Now that you mentioned it... I tried resting more slowly, waiting at least 15 seconds between each resting and didn't get a single provision skipped.

Interestingly if you hold your mouse over the resting button when resting you can see the number of provisions change from 5 to 4 etc. as soon as you wake up. I guess if you rest too quickly all the time sometimes the "provision counter" can't keep up.

So the "bug" comes just from too fast repetitive resting(like when testing the resting and not really playing the game). I think we solved it.

On 5/7/2024 at 6:56 PM, Guest some dude said:

So the "bug" comes just from too fast repetitive resting(like when testing the resting and not really playing the game). I think we solved it.

Good point. To be honest I've only ever done that if:

1. I wanted to rest and I didn't feel like going to an inn so I had to keep trying until the damn guards mind their own business.
  2. In earlier stages of BGEE (mostly), if resting once is not enough to heal completely.

Just something to be aware of.