classic planescape torment CTD when the game is lauched

Posted (edited)

gog install, it behaves like so out of the box--- would crash when being launched. the icon would pop up for a second and then it is gone.

could it be due to my laptop has a high DPI monitor? (2560*1440 160hz, normally i would just use 1920*1080)

followed the tutorial here to mod:

Planescape: Torment mods guide, page 9 - Forum - GOG.com

1) Installed GOG version , i did via exe installer
2) Run setup-ddrawfix.exe to remove forcing of ddraw rendering
3) Complete the whole MODs setup process (Widescreen, UI, fix, tweak, ub) via project infinity
4) Added modified ddraw.dll from here (this helps also with not streching videos, keeping aspect ratio) http://www.shsforums.net/topic/56441-proof-of-concept-alpha-blended-fog-of-war-pst/#entry559817
5)skipped.
6) Compatibility on Torment.exe: Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"  (since win 11 no longer has this option, 

i right clicked the .exe choose compatibility->change high DPI settings--> use this setting to fix scaling problems -->"use DPI when i open this program "

"high dpi scaling override" option is unfortunately greyed out.)

with 6) turned on and off, and after swapping around resolution and scaling options in windows display settings, none seems to work. the game can be launched consecutively for 3-4 without failure, but then it would fail and CTD for next 3-4 times. i think it might have something to do with high DPI screens. i met this problem too with red dead redemption 2 and managed it by tweaking scaling and resolution. i think desktop scales the graphics and the game app also scales it so it reaches a resolution that cannot be displayed, or something like that.

i have no idea how to fix it, i tried low res, low scaling too.

torment.err and torment.log show this line repeatedly only

---------------------Start Logging Session---------------------

Edited by jacklhoward
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bubb said:

Are you running Windows 11? If so, take a look at this thread.

ty, friend! i guess it is the usual microsoft shenanigans again.

also do you know why oBG2 shows up as a very small screen in the centre with black bars all over it?

with an nvidia rtx 3070 laptop gpu and intel integrated gpu. I tried what i did for torment.exe.

there is no scaling option in  my nvidia control panel, i've updated my driver and ensured "nvidia display container LS" "nvidia LocalSystem container" are running and set to automatic, but the option to choose what kind of scaling never pops up.

is it likely another win 11 issue? (tried also fixpack+widescreen but it is still the same small window, black bars, and graphics misaligned)

scaling.png

Edited by jacklhoward