Widescreen support?

Guest Sender

Guest Guest

How can I edit *.chu files? Were can I find specification? Or any editor?

Is it possible just to set in-game view to wider (and move left menu bar, and make bottom one longer), and center the rest of screens (inventory, spellbook)? Is it hard to do it?

How can I edit *.chu files? Were can I find specification? Or any editor?

Is it possible just to set in-game view to wider (and move left menu bar, and make bottom one longer), and center the rest of screens (inventory, spellbook)? Is it hard to do it?

DLTCEP or Near Infinity can edit .chu files.if you only want to bother with the in-game screen, and not all the menus, it should be fairly easy to edit the game window in the appropriate chu (off tho top of my head I don't remember what it is, but it might be GUIBASE) so that it's wider, and move the right-hand windows further across. You may then need to make a small edit to the guiscript if it loads the windowpack with specified dimensions, as some do (the windowpack is the set of windows specified by the chu). Once you've figured out what's going on it wouldn't be too hard, but figuring it out is different for everyone ;).

I'll probably get lynched for suggesting this so early on, but has anyone thought about replacing the chu files with something a little bit more flexible? It would be nice for example if the actual menus scaled to fit the screen res, and the more complicated sidebar stuff was defined with positions relative to the screen edges instead of absolute from the top left corner. Then you could run the game with any res and still get a workable GUI. The original format was after all only designed to work at VGA res, and then hacked for hi resolutions from BG2 onward.

Well, so early on and without any concept, i won't sacrifice time to implement a "new way".

Should anyone come forward with:

1. a working concept

2. working code

3. resource files for at least one original game

I would add it :)

There are so much more to implement and i'm doing it almost alone, so don't hold your breath back.

Well very much agreed there. If I do actually manage to come up with anything I'll send it your way. At the very least I can plan and do the UI graphics for all the games, if this does come to fruition.

I would very much like to see a nice flexible (and unified :p ) UI layout across all the IE games, and I'm quite happy to work on an 'eventually' timescale in order to see it. It's just I have a personal preference for minimalistic and functional, rather than the more decorated and bespoke interface we're all used to. It all looks very nice, but its beauty disguises the fact that its generally a pain to use...

Archived