Other IwD Tweak Pack problems

Guest Per

Hello all,

I used the IwD Tweak Pack recently, and it did away with some minor annoyances - thank you for that. I also noted a couple of problems.

One of them has evidently been reported long before: the component that makes jewellery stackable fails for items which aren't ordinarily stackable. Bug effects include: they disappear if put into a bag, disappear if sold, and sometimes disappear when worn and removed. They are all worth 1 gp, and can only be sold along with other items, not by themselves.

To fix the problem with the fixpack, it probably shouldn't touch the non-stackable items. For people who have installed the pack, removing the AMUL2-AMUL13, RING01 and RING10-RING19 override files will bring things back to normal. (Not all these items appear in the game, though.)

The other problem relates to the "Wearing armour while thieving/spellcasting" components. These components apply the modifiers indiscriminately - even to the items which would normally let you perform these actions with NO penalties, e.g. Black Dragon Scale for thieving and Elven Chainmail of the Hand for fighter/mage spellcasting. These items go from awesome to essentially worthless because they are now just as clunky as any scale or chain.

Override files that I recommend that you remove if you use these components include but may not be limited to ELFCHAN, DRAGARM and KAICHAI.

If you plan on updating the tweak pack ever again, I could probably supply you with a few misc. bugs from the game than should be pretty easy to fix. For instance, undead which are not defined as undead.

I also have a couple of relatively simple questions that I might as well post here. Firstly, I plan to play the original BG next, and would like to implement a few of the changes from the IwD fixpack. I should be able to replicate some of them myself in Near Infinity (for instance, in order to wear Rings of Prot with magical armour, all I have to do is remove their Magic flag, right?). Problem is, I don't have BG installed on the computer I'm on now, and on the computer where I will eventually install BG, I can't run Near Infinity. However, I do have IwD and BG2 installed here. My question is: does either or both of these games use exactly the same item format, at least for items that also existed in BG, so that I can adjust item files from either game and then bring them along to insert as BG overrides later?

Second question: When I played IwD, I encountered a horrible freezing bug on the world map. Whenever I went to the world map after arriving in Kuldahar, or at one point even when looking at my characters running across an area map, the computer would lock up so fiercely I had to turn it off. I managed to work around it by using the cheat console for travel between areas, which worked well enough for that game. However, it would be pretty insufferable in BG. I had no such problems when playing Torment quite recently, and it didn't happen when I had IwD installed once before. I was able to conclude that it did not depend on install size, having Heart of Winter and/or Trials or the Luremaster installed, having applied the Tweak Pack, running other programs (AVG) at the same time, or having enough free RAM. Question here is: is this anything like a known problem, or could someone guess at a reason for the bug anyway? Note that there's no immediate need to fix anything, I'm just curious.

One of them has evidently been reported long before: the component that makes jewellery stackable fails for items which aren't ordinarily stackable. Bug effects include: they disappear if put into a bag, disappear if sold, and sometimes disappear when worn and removed. They are all worth 1 gp, and can only be sold along with other items, not by themselves.

To fix the problem with the fixpack, it probably shouldn't touch the non-stackable items. For people who have installed the pack, removing the AMUL2-AMUL13, RING01 and RING10-RING19 override files will bring things back to normal. (Not all these items appear in the game, though.)

Actually, it looks like you installed the component during a run-through as opposed to before. The component only messes up the items you've already found. Any items found after installing the component will work as intended.
Actually, it looks like you installed the component during a run-through as opposed to before.

I promise you that this was not the case. HoW, TotL and the Tweak Pack were all installed sequentially before I even started the game for the first time.

Archived