Changing the interface

Guest Tsyrith

Guest Tsyrith

Belated apologies if I'm in the wrong forum, but this one seems the most well-suited.

I was playing my cleric/mage for the upteenth time, and wondered (for the upteenth time) if I could change the interface so that I would have 3 spellcasting quickslots instead of 2. The cleric/mage has 2 quickslots for weapons, I don't use weapons; I have spells, lots of them. I was wondering if it would be at all possible to remove one weapon quickslot, move the turn undead ability to the left and create a spellcasting quickslot in the space.

I had thought that in order for this to occur, I'd need to edit a .2da somewhere, but after combing them I haven't found anything. I've been using the search function of the forums to no avail, but have since discovered a sense of despondency as regards the possible success of such interface endeavors.

I think the cleric/mage uses the cleric quickslot interface, though I don't know if that helps.

And yeah, IWD2 has awesome interface options, but I'm not ready to convert to IWG2 yet.

Oh, and I was also wondering which forum would be suited to compiling/releasing possible mods. I love making/tuning spells and wouldn't mind discussing such with others.

As far as I know, the quick interface slots are hard coded, though I think it may be possible to directly edit the files they reference so that all cleric mages use that configuration (CHU files? I'm not sure).

As for the best place to discuss the pros and cons of your mod (or any mod) General Mod Discussion would be the place.

Guest Tsyrith

... Holy crap. *.CHU files are interesting. This looks to be the most likely place to effect the desired changes, though I have no idea what to do. I guess I'm hoping that there's a different interface for each class, and I find the cleric one so's I can fiddle with it. And yeah, I discovered General Mod Discussion after I posted, teh smat. Anyhow, thanks a bunch for the response! If I'm successful maybe I could do a play-by-play so that others can customize their experience. That would be more appropriate for the How-To and Tutorials forum *headslap*.

Alright, here's what I learnt. The buttons I wish to modify have ID's. You can move GUI elements about. This is rather harmless, and cool. You can duplicate ID's for different buttons. This Isn't-A-Good-Thing, as other different systems in the game use this interface, such as the quickslot spell selection, the use-item selection and some spells such as Spell Immunity and Enchanted Weapon. And finally, here's me trying wholesale re-arrangement of ID's. It's not pretty, and makes a bigger mess. I don't think it's possible to do what I intend using *.CHU files. I'd have greater success if I can get to what controls the distribution of data to the buttons and re-arrange that information.

That's why I was hoping there was a 2da somewhere that controlled this kind of information for the different classes. I find it hard to imagine that it's hardcoded into the game, as there are many classes and permutations and I don't think the GUI system would be intelligent enough to determine which character got which GUI. I could very definitely be wrong, though. Stupid intelligent hardcoded things...

Archived