Installation error

Arkain

Hi there.

I just tried to install SCS2, to test around a bit and see whether or not it's my cup of tea. But as it seems, SCS2 doesn't like, well, me. Maybe it's just a bit shy... whatever. Everytime I try to start the installation (of detectable spells, that is - I didn't try other components) I get this lovely message:

[...]

ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 458 of 410-byte file C2BLUN02.ITM

ERROR: [C2BLUN02.ITM] -> [override/C2BLUN02.ITM] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure

("C2BLUN02.ITM: read out of bounds"))

Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Detectable spells and effects (required for most other compone

nts)], rolling back to previous state

Will uninstall 134 files for [sETUP-SCSII.TP2] component 10.

Uninstalled 134 files for [sETUP-SCSII.TP2] component 10.

ERROR: Failure("C2BLUN02.ITM: read out of bounds")

PLEASE email the file SETUP-SCSII.DEBUG to xyz

[...]

So... how could this be fixed? c2blun02.itm looks like Itemupgrade to me but I have no idea what to do to fix this.

Additionally I have some questions regarding compatibility:

- Tactics Irenicus: I wanted to check which one I like more, Tactics or SCS Irenicus... If it's the former I have to install it *before* SCS, correct? It says so in the readme but I'm a bit confused about because "The Improved Irenicus component overwrites the improvements to Irenicus made by the "Smarter Arcane Spellcasters" component of SCS II. If you want Tactics Irenicus, install that component (before SCS II) - the rest of "Smarter Arcane Spellcasters" will still work." states that II overwrites the improvements made to Irenicus via SCS. On the other hand why should I install SCS *after* Tactics Irenicus, when I want it then? How can it overwrite something that doesn't even exist in the first place when it's installed?

- Revised Suldanessalar: One of the components of the Kiara-Zaiya version I have "improves" Suldanessalar. It's mostly stronger monsters, like liches, mind flayers or mariliths roaming the streets. I don't know if anything AI related is changed as well, as I had Tactics installed the last time I used it... and that may have just been that mod's AI. On the other hand the black dragon is replaced by a (quite cheesy...) lesser demon lord, just like the one in Ust Natha, so there might be a problem as SCS might change the "dragons" script although there is no dragon at all. Could this still be compatible to SCS? Installation order?

Another component is an improved Irenicus at the Tree of Life. Again, I'd rather try SCS Irenicus out first an decide which one I'd like to use later on. Any obvious compatibility issues in this case? How about installation order?

- According to the readme SCS should be installed after all other mods, if possible. So if I install anything else, related to additional encounters and such do I have to install it after or before SCS? I'm just wondering because when I install SCS afterwards mod X's AI would possibly be replaced by SCS's. Basically it's the same thing confusing me in the Irenicus case above.

Ah, something else: I have Baldurdash installed, not Fixpack. This might be important to know.

[edit] I managed to get around this issue by uninstalling Itemupgrade, installing the component of SCS and reinstalling Itemupgrade. Everything else went smoothly. Is this a common problem? [/edit]

Hi,

- it sounds like you might have an out-of-date copy of Item Upgrade - I think that "c2blun" problem is caused by an error in old versions of IU (Cam may wander past to check). I don't recommend installing Item Upgrade after SCSII, because you'll confuse the SCSII AI. Try updating Item Upgrade and seeing if that works.

- it doesn't matter which way around you install Tactics Improved Irenicus and SCSII (I think). Whichever way around you do it, Tactics Improved Irenicus will take precedence.

- I don't know how the Kiara/Zaiya mod works, so I don't know how compatibility will work out. I suggest installing it before SCSII and seeing what happens (SCSII is usually quite good at playing nice with other people's AI). Probably what will happen is: if K/Z introduces its own AI for new creatures, that AI will remain; if it uses the game's original AI, SCSII will override that AI.

- Same for other mods, basically. SCSII only overwrites the vanilla game's AI (plus a few bits of Big Picture and Ascension AI). So if someone has written a mod which uses (say) the game's default mage scripts, then it will have those scripts replaced by SCSII's scripts (and that will happen whatever order you install the mods). If someone has written a mod with its own custom scripts, SCSII will leave them alone. On the other hand, installing SCSII before other mods tends to confuse some bits of the SCSII AI (especially when those other mods introduce new magic items).

- I don't mind Baldurdash being installed but I have to say that SCSII was written and tested in a Fixpack environment, so you might find occasional glitches as a result.

Yeah, I'm seeing that now. My version is v32, while there is a v35 on weidu.org. The readme states that as of v33 the c2blun.itm is fixed. Will try.

When I tried out Illasera she simply used her old script (Monster Summoning 2 or 3 -.-) and her helpers where standing idle, with blue circles, until I attacked them manually. That's what you meant about confusing the AI/occasional glitches? Didn't retry it though. If this is a repeating issue I'll use Ascension's Illasera instead.

I may try the K-Z components out, installing them first to be safe, and report back if it works.

[edit] Yup, the recent Itemupgrade version did the trick. [/edit]

When I tried out Illasera she simply used her old script (Monster Summoning 2 or 3 -.-) and her helpers where standing idle, with blue circles, until I attacked them manually. That's what you meant about confusing the AI/occasional glitches? Didn't retry it though. If this is a repeating issue I'll use Ascension's Illasera instead.

That's kind of more dramatic than I meant! I think I can see how followers not going hostile might happen but I really don't get why Illasera shouldn't use the improved script... I'll chase it. But in any case, I'd recommend you use the Ascension version and then install the SCS2 "give SCS2 style AI to ascension enemies" component.

[...]

But in any case, I'd recommend you use the Ascension version and then install the SCS2 "give SCS2 style AI to ascension enemies" component.

Yeah, I might try it out as well. I'm curious whether Ascension will be easier or harder with SCS2 scripts. At the moment I'll retry "SCS2 Illasera", maybe it was all just related to some bug because I installed IU afterwards. On the other hand I checked my tactics components again and there were some incompatible ones which I totally forgot to uninstall. Maybe that caused something weird in the script(s). I'm not a modder, so I can't really estimate what causes bugs and what doesn't.

I'm curious whether Ascension will be easier or harder with SCS2 scripts.

Me too, actually! I'm guessing harder but I could be wrong... I think, at least for melee opponents, the main difference will be that they notice protection from magic weapons spells.

Me too, actually! I'm guessing harder but I could be wrong... I think, at least for melee opponents, the main difference will be that they notice protection from magic weapons spells.

Heh, as long as the SCSII version of Improved Abazigal doesn't ForceCast() Imprisonment on Player1 I think it should be easier. :)

I'd really like to know what the designers of the original Ascension AI were thinking there. :)

Heh, as long as the SCSII version of Improved Abazigal doesn't ForceCast() Imprisonment on Player1 I think it should be easier. :)

I'd really like to know what the designers of the original Ascension AI were thinking there. :)

All SCSII uses of Imprisonment have this trigger block included:

OR(2)
	!InPartySlot(scstarget,0) // isn't Player 1
	Global("DMWWImprisonPlayer","GLOBAL",1)

Players can decide to be imprisoned at the console if they're feeling masochistic, otherwise it's reserved for NPCs.

Hum... some issues again:

- Faldorn didn't do, well, anything. At all. Okay, she tried to kill me with her bare fists. That's about it. No spells, no shapeshifting, nothing. This is not how it's supposed to be, eh?

Maybe there was some confusion because I'm playing with a solo blade at the moment and still had multiple strongholds installed o.O. Therefore I could challenge her myself. But to be honest, I don't think that's really an issue. I didn't check what would happen if I told Cernd to fight (without being in the party) and I don't have an appropiate save right now :)

- Sewer Party did nothing at all. Similar to Illasera and her goons, with the notable difference that none of them attacked me. Ever. But if I did start to attack one of them they turned hostile and - most important - their scripts worked. I didn't manage to beat Gaius by the way. Nice work here.

By now I'm thinking it's not really a problem related to SCS2 itself but to my installation. My Weidu loved to crash during SCS2's installation - several times - and therefore the dialog.tlk might be totally messed up by now. Why do I have such ideas? Well, the dialogue in older saves is, um, invisible. Additionally, when I look at any of the changed anti magic spells descriptions I get loads of lines saying all the same thing (that the spell will have a few feet radius or something like that, don't know it by heart at the moment). To eliminate questions: it's a direct copy each time, repeating itself at least a dozen times. And it's the same stuff for *each* spell. Looks like this:

Line A

Line A

Line A

You get the picture? :)

I planned to do a clean (re-)installation of my game in the near future, together with a new list of mods (which is actually somewhat sorted) anyway. If these errors repeat themselves then, I'll report it.

That looks to me like a corrupted install, yes. In particular, I don't touch Faldorn at all, so she's still using her vanilla script.

However, the problem with Gaius is a known bug with v2; it'll be corrected in the non-beta version when it comes out in a few days.

Well, feel like doing something about her? I remember using the respective component of tactics a long time ago but felt that version of Faldorn was far too powerful (read: unbeatable if you don't have a "permanent" druid in your party, but rather pick one up to do the fighting). Would be a nice addition and surely less ridiculous than the one I met who tells me to be stronger than ever due to the power of the grove... and tries to bash me with her mighty, "grovy" fists.

Or should she be using one of the divine spellcaster scripts, as I actually suspected her to do?

Um... do you mean the bug of the party staying neutral or something about Gaius in particular? When I wrote that "I didn't manage to beat Gaius" that was because he was too strong at that moment. Not because of any bugs, if that was what you were thinking.

Well, feel like doing something about her? I remember using the respective component of tactics a long time ago but felt that version of Faldorn was far too powerful (read: unbeatable if you don't have a "permanent" druid in your party, but rather pick one up to do the fighting). Would be a nice addition and surely less ridiculous than the one I met who tells me to be stronger than ever due to the power of the grove... and tries to bash me with her mighty, "grovy" fists.

Or should she be using one of the divine spellcaster scripts, as I actually suspected her to do?

It's on my to-do list, though it won't make the next release.

Um... do you mean the bug of the party staying neutral or something about Gaius in particular? When I wrote that "I didn't manage to beat Gaius" that was because he was too strong at that moment. Not because of any bugs, if that was what you were thinking.

The staying-neutral bug.

Guest Helborn

Same Installation error but with

ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 466 of 466-byte file DEITM049.ITM

ERROR: [DEITM049.ITM] -> [override/DEITM049.ITM] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure

("DEITM049.ITM: read out of bounds"))

ERROR Installing [Detectable spells and effects (required for most other compon

nts)], rolling back to previous state

Will uninstall 151 files for [sCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2] component 10.

Uninstalled 151 files for [sCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2] component 10.

ERROR: Failure("DEITM049.ITM: read out of bounds")

PLEASE email the file SETUP-SCSII.DEBUG to xyz

Using Language [English]

Archived