My first mod

ericp07

Yes, that would be it, circumflex.

Though Thoron'Sul sounds like the villainess in The Mummy.

I'm trying to remember my sindarin, whether or not anything funny happens to the consonants in that configuration, but I can't remember.

You know, if you're using sindarin, you don't really have to bother with that ' you're using to separate words. For proper names, they're all run together, like Celebrian, or the Galadrim.

Yes, the punctuation symbol (I don't know what ` is called, but I know it's not an apostrophe) is used to join words or ideas, so I suppose it isn't needed in proper names. I like the way it looks, but if it's unconventional, I'll drop it. Sylvan Elves in the Forgotten Realms use a combination of Sindarin and Quenya, depending on time frame (first, they spoke Sindarin, and later adopted Quenya). More isolated communities might combine Sindarin with local fey speech. Further, Sylvan Elves have a dialect, as they speak a slower, softer form of the language. I have a spreadsheet, found on the 'net but don't have the source, that's a combination of Tolkien Elvish dictionary, phrasebook, grammar key, songbook, and magical phrasebook (yes, D&D spells' verbal components in Elvish!). It's a very nicely made spreadsheet, and I'd be happy to e-mail it to anyone who's interested :)

Sweet water and light laughter until next,

Eric

Eric, here's another naming resource. I believe this was specifically created for D&D players, and I often use it for naming my elves (even though my name here is pure Quenya...). It's looking like Hawkwind would be Kethel, Kethele, or Kethela using this ... or perhaps you could remove the apostrophe from her first name and go with Shaelina el'Keth.

Eric, here's another naming resource. I believe this was specifically created for D&D players, and I often use it for naming my elves (even though my name here is pure Quenya...). It's looking like Hawkwind would be Kethel, Kethele, or Kethela using this ... or perhaps you could remove the apostrophe from her first name and go with Shaelina el'Keth.

Thank you for that :) I'll check it out. I do recall a Dragon Magazine article (and one of the newer D&D books) that presented lists with words that you could roll d% on to create names, but I didn't like how they sounded...didn't have the flowing feeling of Elven speech to me. I once even created a dictionary, alphabet, and basic grammar for an Elven language, but never finished it, and nothing survives of the notes.

Heh, no matter how many times I mention it, there will still be people who think that punctuation mark is an apostrophe *L* It's not. However, the mark has been removed. :)

Cheers,

Eric

Thank you for that :) I'll check it out. I do recall a Dragon Magazine article (and one of the newer D&D books) that presented lists with words that you could roll d% on to create names, but I didn't like how they sounded...didn't have the flowing feeling of Elven speech to me. I once even created a dictionary, alphabet, and basic grammar for an Elven language, but never finished it, and nothing survives of the notes.

Heh, no matter how many times I mention it, there will still be people who think that punctuation mark is an apostrophe *L* It's not. However, the mark has been removed. :)

Cheers,

Eric

Hah! That table is exactly the same as what was published for D&D :) I should have looked at it before responding *L*

- E

Archived