Bleeding Damage

Demivrgvs

Well, only two items in vanilla BG 2 are supposed to inflinct bleeding damage (Valygar's Katana and The Bleeder) but i wanted to know which is the best way to implement it i your opinion.

I can think of three way to do it: using a poison effect, a disease effect, or a multiple delayed damage.

Using the Poison effect:

- creatures immune to poison won't be afffected (which is quite good)

- it would automatically display the poisoned string (it could be suppressed with a disable display string, but what if the target should also be poisoned by another character/weapon/ability?)

- why giving it a different icon and name if it works exactly like a poison?

Using the Disease effect:

- creatures immune to disease won't be afffected (which is quite good, but golems aren't immune to disease for example, even if they clearly should)

- bypass stoneskins

- at least it's something different from a poisoned weapon

Using delayed physical damage (like 1 point delayed of 6 sec, 1 point delayed of 12 sec, and so on):

- which one? Piercing, slashing?

- all creatures would be affected (which isn't a good thing)

- i think the game will also play the "target hit sound" everytime the damage is applied

Any suggestion?

Using the Poison effect:

- creatures immune to poison won't be afffected (which is quite good)

- it would automatically display the poisoned string (it could be suppressed with a disable display string, but what if the target should also be poisoned by another character/weapon/ability?)

- why giving it a different icon and name if it works exactly like a poison?

Note that using poison as a damage type will not automatically display the "Poisoned" text string, unlike using poison as an opcode. It also doesn't set STATE_POISONED and can't be cured via Antidotes, Neutralize Poison...etc. Furthermore, some creatures which are protected from the poison opcode don't have 100% poison resistance and can thus be harmed by the poison damage type.

In Rogue Rebalancing, I use delayed poison damage for bleeding wounds. You can check the Plaguebearer dagger (RR#PLAG.ITM) for a sample of this implementation.

Note that using poison as a damage type will not automatically display the "Poisoned" text string, unlike using poison as an opcode. It also doesn't set STATE_POISONED and can't be cured via Antidotes, Neutralize Poison...etc.
You're right, I don't know why I've not taken into consideration Poison when i was selecting damage type for the delayed effect. Thanks. :)
Furthermore, some creatures which are protected from the poison opcode don't have 100% poison resistance and can thus be harmed by the poison damage type.
I thought Fix Pack added 100% resistance to poison damage to creatures immune to poison...am I wrong?

Archived