Repairing savegames

Guest Hamburger

Guest Hamburger

Hi all. I'm new to modding and was experimenting with what I thought was a very small, consequence-free mod and appear to have screwed up my game. Is there any way I can repair the damage without having to replay the game from scratch?

Specifically, I am playing SoA and modified the bedroom in the Order of the Radiant Heart (ar0903.are) to include some containers. Simple enough, right? Yet much later, I've brought Anomen to the hall for his trial and the trial sequence doesn't fire.

I know .are files are loaded into the savegame the first time they're entered and are maintained by the savegame after that (which makes sense, it's the only way to track objects left in the area). Are other kinds of files also permanently loaded? I'm tried removing everything in the override directory and it didn't help.

I was making my mod with DLTCEP and that seems to have a habit of generating files in your override directory even if you're not saving anything. Also I had installed a bunch of Baldurdash's mods and mine might have conflicted with one that allows you to rest in the hall after you join the Order.

How can I fix this and keep playing? Is there any way I can fire events manually using the console, for example?

Specifically, I am playing SoA and modified the bedroom in the Order of the Radiant Heart (ar0903.are) to include some containers. Simple enough, right? Yet much later, I've brought Anomen to the hall for his trial and the trial sequence doesn't fire.

Hmm. The only way I can think this might happen purely from area editing is that you've somehow unassigned the area script or damaged one of the listed creatures needed to start the sequence.

Guest Hamburger
Hmm. The only way I can think this might happen purely from area editing is that you've somehow unassigned the area script or damaged one of the listed creatures needed to start the sequence.

Is the area script assigned in the .are file? I thought it was in the .bcs file... except that deleting the override ought to fix that, I suppose.

Is the area script assigned in the .are file? I thought it was in the .bcs file... except that deleting the override ought to fix that, I suppose.

The bcs file is the script, but the area file itself tells the game which bcs to use as the area script. If it's pointing to the wrong file then it doesn't matter if the script hasn't changed.

The override files here won't make a difference--you want to check the area file in your save game.

Guest Hamburger
The bcs file is the script, but the area file itself tells the game which bcs to use as the area script. If it's pointing to the wrong file then it doesn't matter if the script hasn't changed.

The override files here won't make a difference--you want to check the area file in your save game.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Guest Hamburger

Yes, that worked, thank you. The script call was blanked out.

I think this might have been an issue with DLTCEP; I found the problem and tried to fix it, and it didn't work, so possibly DLTCEP didn't save it right the first time. I get odd error messages starting DLTCEP, so it's probably some misconfiguration causing the whole problem.

Anyway, I got much better results with Near Infinity.

Archived