Near Infinity problem

Kelenthial

Ok folks, I have tried practically everything and am forced to ask for help. My NI won't browse Cre files - while scrolling down through properties, it crashes - every single time, on every CRE. Error looks like this. I tried downloading new/different version of NI, reinstalling game, reinstalling java (few times, different versions) and basically everything I was able to think of besides formatting the hard drive. Now, perhaps anybody has an idea as to what could I possibly do to make the NI *work*. (funny thing, some time ago I worked on an NPC in it and everything was ok -- what could possibly have changed? I thought it was my uploading Java, but it crashes also on the old version... antivirus doesn't see anything suspicious... I am at loss here...)

Is it always crashing in the same place on the .Cre files? About the only thing I can think of is that it's tried to load some part of the .Cre file and found something corrupt or that it doesn't like. If it's convenient to do so, you could look at another NI game to see if the crash is happening across game types or is restricted to one game only.

Thanks to you both, though as I really tried everything and nothing worked I grow as frustrated as to actually do a hard drive format. And now everything works as it should. Ha. No idea what was wrong -- but I really don't have time to wonder right now.

<It is enough that I wasted half a night trying to code a passage and getting an error I could not comprehend... I managed, eventually (it seems that there can't be more than two lines in one SAY... if what I say makes any sense, that is XD) but didn't get enough sleep and that made me... well, lets just say that the day didn't prove to be pleasant.>

Archived