Looking for some good tutorials

Incarnadine

I apologize beforehand for being a noob. I'm very new to the whole moddong thing. So far, I've had some luck with ROM hacking, but I wanted to do something with a computer game. The Baldur's Gate Series and Planescape: Torment are, by far, some of my favorite computer games, so I've been looking into Infinity Engine modding.

I've mostly been using Near Infinity to look at the code for the games and try to get a feel for how the different file types work. I've been trying to take items, areas, and creatures from PS:T and put them in BG2, but so far, the only thing I've had any success in doing is causing the game to crash. The complexity of how the different file types interact is giving me a bit of a headache. Can someone point me to some good tutorials that explain how to move stuff from one IE game to another? Thanks in advance.

Don't know what the problem was before, but the BAMs seem to be working now. The only problem is the ones in PST are huge compared to BG2's, so only a corner of the image shows up when it's in your inventory. I'm going to have to shrink all the BAMs down to probably a quarter of their original size. This is going to be very tedious, but at least it'll give me something to do. Once I've put all the items in BG2, I'll get to work on the areas.

Actually, after reexamining the problem, I don't think the images are too big. They seem to be the right size, but for some reason, when an item is placed in an inventory slot, you only see the bottom-right corner of the icon in the top-left corner of the inventory slot. I'd be willing to try to learn to write a macro to fix the issue, but I'm not really sure what's wrong with the BAMs. Anyone have any ideas?

Actually, after reexamining the problem, I don't think the images are too big. They seem to be the right size, but for some reason, when an item is placed in an inventory slot, you only see the bottom-right corner of the icon in the top-left corner of the inventory slot. I'd be willing to try to learn to write a macro to fix the issue, but I'm not really sure what's wrong with the BAMs. Anyone have any ideas?

I've found a rather tedious way of fixing the BAMs, but the way they have to be resized varies from BAM to BAM, so I don't think a macro would be possible.

Are you sure it is the right pink transparency colour? Load up a BG2 BAM and eye dropper it.

Icen

If I simply open an unmodified PS:T BAM in BG2, it shows up properly. If I made any edits, it shows up as pink, so it is the right transparency color, but for some reason making edits causes it to function improperly.

this is a very old known problem.

take all the pink and change it to a charcoal gray, or do what I do and just change it to the teal/green transparent color

Archived