Invisible Goblins

erebusant

Does the smarter general AI component of SCS give the ICGOB01-05.cres an added invisibility effect? I just ran into a squadron of the little invisible bastards which had all gotten the additional effect from SCS Smarter AI, but had had their scripts set to BPTHFSHT.BCS for the override script, and BPWTSIGT.BCS & BPWDASGT.BCS in their default scripts which apparently are modified by SCSII so they all contain at least the following script blocks:

IF
OnCreation()
!See(NearestEnemyOf(Myself))
Class(Myself,THIEF_ALL)
!StateCheck(Myself,STATE_INVISIBLE)
Allegiance(Myself,ENEMY)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	ApplySpellRES("dw#thinv",Myself) // Invisibility
END

IF
OnCreation()
See(NearestEnemyOf(Myself))
Class(Myself,THIEF_ALL)
Allegiance(Myself,ENEMY)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	SetGlobal("backstabplan","LOCALS",1)
	SetGlobal("backstabtimer","LOCALS",6)
END

IF
OnCreation()
See(NearestEnemyOf(Myself))
Class(Myself,THIEF_ALL)
StateCheck(Myself,STATE_INVISIBLE)
Allegiance(Myself,ENEMY)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	SetGlobal("backstabplan","LOCALS",1)
	SetGlobalTimer("backstabtimer","LOCALS",ONE_ROUND)
END

IF
Class(Myself,THIEF_ALL)
Allegiance(Myself,ENEMY)
!Detect(NearestEnemyOf(Myself))
THEN
RESPONSE #100
END

Needless to say, it was an interesting and very difficult battle, especially when the area spawn script spawned 3 sets of 2 ICGOB01.CRE & 1 ICGOB05.CRE's. Had my character and Imoen running in circles hoping to keep away from the back stabs long enough before our potions ran out.

It looks like the invisibility effect is added to all hostile thiefs (to hide them from the start).

Yep. It's semi-unintentional, actually: the goblins in the initial dungeon are flagged as thieves in the vanilla game, and SCS picks up on that.

In fact, as memory serves, SCSII changes them from being thieves to avoid this problem (it was something that showed up in the beta test). But SCS isn't really written with BG2 in mind, so it doesn't have that kind of check. I should probably duplicate the code for the benefit of BGT users.

It looks like the invisibility effect is added to all hostile thiefs (to hide them from the start).

Yep. It's semi-unintentional, actually: the goblins in the initial dungeon are flagged as thieves in the vanilla game, and SCS picks up on that.

In fact, as memory serves, SCSII changes them from being thieves to avoid this problem (it was something that showed up in the beta test). But SCS isn't really written with BG2 in mind, so it doesn't have that kind of check. I should probably duplicate the code for the benefit of BGT users.

Actually, it's kind of cool to have them be thrown at you that way. They are definately killable at level 1, just need to use that old favorite spell "Power Word: Reload" if you aren't lucky enough to be able to keep them running in circles long enough.

Archived