Which BG1 NPC should I give the Katana/Wakizashi proficiency to?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I'm trying to work out which NPC would be most suited to using either of these weapons in a personality sense. I want to give the proficiency (I'm using Item Revisions which puts Katanas and Wakizashis under one proficiency) to just one BG1 NPC, but I can't decide which one. They wouldn't necessarily have to start with the proficiency, but I'm planning out exactly what I'm going to give each NPC when they reach the appropriate level (to make sure I'll have used every type of weapon if I use every NPC).

I'd originally planned to give it to Garrick, simply because he has travelled all over the place and may have encountered such a weapon somewhere along the line and taken a shine to it. But then I realised that I didn't want some stupid bard to have the proficiency, so started wondering who else I could give it to. I thought that maybe Safana would be an okay choice. I'd start her with Dagger and some sort of Bow, then give her the

Katana/Wakizashi proficiency at level 4. Since she'll hardly ever be fighting melee this may seem like a bit of a waste, but I really can't think who else to give it to (and I'm not looking to create some overpowered NPC anyway).

I could give it to Coran, I suppose, but he won't be doing much melee fighting either.

So what does everyone think?

Guest Guest

Thank you both for the suggestions. I'm going to make Khalid a dual-wielding fighter/mage, and I thought that maybe him having it would be too cheesy. I'm using a tweak that'll allow him to put up to 5 stars in a weapon, so I thought I'd start him with 3 stars dual-wield and 1 star in long sword @ level 1, then long sword again @ levels 3 and 6. I don't plan to give many of the other NPCs the long sword proficiency, so if I am going to use long swords in the game, it'll have to be Khalid who has them.

Other than the fact that I've already decided on this, though, the Khalid suggestion is a good one. Oh, and I also plan to give Minsc a two-handed sword (for a change :blush:). I think I'll just give it to Safana @ level 4 - she's an exotic lass, so maybe she's taken a shine to an exotic weapon. Who knows, maybe someone on board the pirate ship she was on had one (probably looted it from somewhere) and she charmed them into letting her practice with it from time to time. Works for me!

Archived