Skip Candlekeep

Leomar

If you start BG1 the following text appears:

Welcome to Candlekeep, your home! To select your character, left-click on the green circle around their feet or on the character portrait to the right. You can now move by left or right-clicking on the ground. Left-click for non-formation movement and all actions. Right-click for formation movement and to cancel actions such as spells. You should now move clockwise around Candlekeep. As you move around the keep you will find green robed monks. Talk to these monks and they will give you lessons on how to play the game. To talk with the monks left click on them while your character is selected. Your character should walk over and talk with the monk.

Also, many different messages will be given to you through the text window on the bottom of the screen. To expand and contract this window, simply use the two small buttons to the right of it.

When one install the component "Skip Candlekeep", directly a soldat is coming and ask you to skip Candlekeep to go directly into the adventure. His dialog moves up the BG1 start dialog so quickly, that you can't read it at this moment. We suggest to move the soldat just a little bit to the north, so he comes to you only if you begin to move your character in that direction.

Suggestion for the addtoarea.baf

THEN
	RESPONSE #100
		SetGlobal("DMWWSkipCandlekeep","GLOBAL",1)
-		CreateCreature("dw#skcan",[1178.640],0)
+		CreateCreature("dw#skcan",[1714.371],0)

O.K. we know, that this component is for experienced gamers and this gamers know the BG1 tutorial, but we find this little change to move him a little bit to the north better for all.

Greetings Leomar

...but the whole point of that component is to skip the entire Candlekeep segment - and I include the BG1 start dialog. You shouldn't have to move your character at all: you should be allowed to get out of Candlekeep as quickly as you can.

The BG1 start dialog is the beginning of a tutorial. It's precisely that tutorial that I'm trying to skip in that component. I can't imagine why someone would want to read that text but otherwise skip the whole of Candlekeep.

...but the whole point of that component is to skip the entire Candlekeep segment - and I include the BG1 start dialog. You shouldn't have to move your character at all: you should be allowed to get out of Candlekeep as quickly as you can.

The BG1 start dialog is the beginning of a tutorial. It's precisely that tutorial that I'm trying to skip in that component. I can't imagine why someone would want to read that text but otherwise skip the whole of Candlekeep.

All right, then. Make more sense as we thought before.

Thanks for your answer. :blush:

Greetings Leomar

Thanks for your answer. :blush:

I don't think I understand that (I don't think it quite works in English, and I'm not sure what the sense is you're trying to convey). Can you rephrase? - thanks!

Thanks for your answer. :)

I don't think I understand that (I don't think it quite works in English, and I'm not sure what the sense is you're trying to convey). Can you rephrase? - thanks!

Sure and sorry for my English. :blush:

What we thought before is and why we ask you to change the spawn position a little bit to the north was the following:

We try to install with the BiG World Install.bat as much as possible from a mod. And we thought if we install SCS, we could install this component, too. So the gamer has the decision In-Game to skip Candlekeep or not. In this case it would be better not directly confront the gamer with the soldat. So at first he can read the BG1 beginning text and know, that he can learn more if he wander through Candlekeep. Is he moving on and the Soldat is coming, then he can do the decision. :blush:

Greetings Leomar

OK, thanks - that makes sense now.

In that case, we have a philosophy difference. SCS isn't particularly designed with "install as much as possible" in mind. It's a deliberately modular mod, so that users can customise it to their liking. BWP isn't like that, obviously: you're selecting for players so as to make an impossibly complex installation project a bit more manageable.

But in that case, asking me to change SCS to fit BWP's design philosophy isn't the way to go. If you think Skip Candlekeep ought to be optional for players, I agree - but in my mod it already is optional, because the componet itself is optional. So I'm not going to change SCS for this reason - it's not "better for all", as you say, it's only better for BWP users.

On the other hand, it makes sense for you to change it in BWP. So you probably should do so, and I have no problem at all with that. (Don't call it a fix, though! :blush: )

OK, thanks - that makes sense now.

In that case, we have a philosophy difference. SCS isn't particularly designed with "install as much as possible" in mind. It's a deliberately modular mod, so that users can customise it to their liking. BWP isn't like that, obviously: you're selecting for players so as to make an impossibly complex installation project a bit more manageable.

But in that case, asking me to change SCS to fit BWP's design philosophy isn't the way to go. If you think Skip Candlekeep ought to be optional for players, I agree - but in my mod it already is optional, because the componet itself is optional. So I'm not going to change SCS for this reason - it's not "better for all", as you say, it's only better for BWP users.

On the other hand, it makes sense for you to change it in BWP. So you probably should do so, and I have no problem at all with that. (Don't call it a fix, though! :blush: )

I understand you and agree with your statement. Both sides make sense. :blush:

Next time I'll be more clearly if it depends on the BWP or on a generel compatibility problem. :D

Thanks for your permission, so for this case we will use the patch like I mentioned above. Additional we will write in our BWP_fixes.txt that this is not a fix and is only made for the BWP. :)

Greetings Leomar

Cool.

(You don't in any case need my permission to write a mod which modifies SCS - but I appreciate the courtesy of asking.)

In general I think, that each modauthor should be asked or informed if a patch exist which changes their mods. Otherwise you get bug or gamer reports and wonder, why the heck is happaning that... after hours of debugging and many posts later you see, that not your mod is causing this... This situation we want to avoid. :blush:

Greetings Leomar

Archived