Difficulty Slider in BG1:TotSC

OtisTDog

Just curious -- my manual for BG1 is packed up somewhere, and I can't seem to find anything that indicates just what the effects of changing the difficulty slider are in this game. Does anyone know? Is it actually in the manual somewhere -- if so, I can probably dig it out.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone working on mods has used the difficulty setting in any way to affect the content of the mod. Maybe add more monsters or make them tougher in other ways than just adding HP (e.g. add higher-level spells to a spellcaster)?

--Otis

Just curious -- my manual for BG1 is packed up somewhere, and I can't seem to find anything that indicates just what the effects of changing the difficulty slider are in this game. Does anyone know? Is it actually in the manual somewhere -- if so, I can probably dig it out.
There is a box inside the game options that shows you the exact effect, in BG1 it says that you should receive less XP on the lowest settings(normal/novice), but I don't think it actually does so much...

These are for the BG2, and I think the damage is the same within the BG1:TotSC, the others are not;

Insane: All monsters do double damage.

Hard: All monsters do 50% more damage.

Core Rules: Baldur's Gate 1 rules apply.

Normal: All hit point rolls are maximum, characters cannot permanently die, all spells are automatically learned, monsters do three quarters damage.

Novice: Same as normal, but the monsters do just 50% damage.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone working on mods has used the difficulty setting in any way to affect the content of the mod. Maybe add more monsters or make them tougher in other ways than just adding HP (e.g. add higher-level spells to a spellcaster)?
Well, I have not heard any one using it on BG1, but there are several for BG2 mods... they affect the creatures spell casting, as the difference in the script they use, can be very different significant.

Archived