44 HP at level 7?

Guest Icarian

Guest Icarian

I have the max hp option on. I always do, no matter how difficult I want to make the game (via scs).

However, Kivan just joined me in the Promenade, and I noticed he only had 44 HP. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Isn't the ranger's hit die d8 (or higher)? With his 14 CON, he should have 10 per level, or 70 in total, no?

Minsc's value also appears to be a bit off. At level 10, he had only 102 hit points (at 16 CON), which leads me to believe that NPCs don't get max values even with the option activated, or at least, not for the levels they gained prior to joining the group. Is this correct?

If so, would loading an earlier save re-randomize the value, or is it fixed at 44?

I have the max hp option on. I always do, no matter how difficult I want to make the game (via scs).

If you're referring to the in-game difficulty settings, these won't have an effect on HP before NPCs join your party. NPC hit points are not determined randomly when first meeting them, but are stored in their creature file. There's a component in the BG2 Tweak Pack which will maximise the HP values in creature files (you can choose whether it only affects joinable NPCs or enemies as well).

Before level 10, Rangers roll a d10 to determine hit points and HP bonuses from CON apply when CON is greater than 14. At level 10 or higher, CON bonuses are no longer gained and the warrior classes gain a standard 3 HP per level instead of d10. So, level 7 Kivan should have at most 70 HP, and level 10 Minsc should have at most 111 HP.

However, Kivan just joined me in the Promenade, and I noticed he only had 44 HP. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Isn't the ranger's hit die d8 (or higher)? With his 14 CON, he should have 10 per level, or 70 in total, no?

Minsc's value also appears to be a bit off. At level 10, he had only 102 hit points (at 16 CON), which leads me to believe that NPCs don't get max values even with the option activated, or at least, not for the levels they gained prior to joining the group. Is this correct?

If so, would loading an earlier save re-randomize the value, or is it fixed at 44?

Have you installed Level 1 NPCs and can you post your WeiDU.log?

Greetings Leomar

Guest Guest_Ithildur_*

You're thinking of 3.5 edition DnD rules for HPs and CON bonuses. BG2 is a 2nd edition rules based game. 14 CON gets you ZERO bonus HPs, whereas it'd give you +2/lvl in 3.5e.

cheers

Archived