Item Revisions + Ashes of Embers

DarkWon

So after hours of reinstalling and testing, finally got the two to work together! The problem is that AoE has two parts. One part needs to go before Item Revisions, and one after :/

Method a) install AoE (SoA and ToB component only), install Item Revisions + all other mods. Delete weidu log. Install AoE "MODS" component. This allows the two AoE bits to be installed in different places in your load order :( Now, I figured this was a bit "dirty" option as you have to delete your log, so I tried to make it work another way...

b) Install Item Revisions + other mods, install AoE "MODS" option only. This also works, but on the assumption that Item Revisions has already altered every weapon in the game, which I don't know if it does. So maybe there are some weapons floating round out there that won't have the new restrictions. This method also doesn't allow Mages etc to put one * in any weapon, so you will have to manually change the weapprof.2da if you want this (fairly easy to do)

So after hours of reinstalling and testing, finally got the two to work together! The problem is that AoE has two parts. One part needs to go before Item Revisions, and one after :/

Method a) install AoE (SoA and ToB component only), install Item Revisions + all other mods. Delete weidu log. Install AoE "MODS" component. This allows the two AoE bits to be installed in different places in your load order :( Now, I figured this was a bit "dirty" option as you have to delete your log, so I tried to make it work another way...

There's a much simpler way to install components of a mod in separate places. (Note that IR expects you to do this when you use mods that add items or certain ones that alter them.)

Run the installer, nstall the components you want to be installed before other mods, then [Q]uit when it gets to the ones you want to install later. Install your other mods, then run (for IR) setup-item_rev.exe again, kip any components you've already installed, and nstall the ones you were saving for later.

b) Install Item Revisions + other mods, install AoE "MODS" option only. This also works, but on the assumption that Item Revisions has already altered every weapon in the game, which I don't know if it does. So maybe there are some weapons floating round out there that won't have the new restrictions. This method also doesn't allow Mages etc to put one * in any weapon, so you will have to manually change the weapprof.2da if you want this (fairly easy to do)

Yeah - the Sensical Weapons for SoA is what contains the code for updating class selection of proficiencies and proficiency descriptions. You can either install that component before IR, or copy/paste the (relevant) code from that component into the mod component. Either way, you will want to install AoE's Sensical Weapon Restrictions for Mods after IR's main component.

Guest Guest_Darkwon_*

I already tried that on a clean patched install! ok if you say it should work I will try again...I don't think I was quitting with Q, I just pressed (N) to all the components I didn't want installed yet, surely that doesn't make a difference?!

I already tried that on a clean patched install! ok if you say it should work I will try again...I don't think I was quitting with Q, I just pressed (N) to all the components I didn't want installed yet, surely that doesn't make a difference?!

Either way works fine.

Either way works fine.

Yep, worked fine. Thanks Mike! the only thing I can think of is when installing "weapons for MODS" last time I went through the whole shebang instead of pressing Q after I had done that component :/ anyway thanks! now all that is missing is SR v3 mwahaha

Eh...if I delete all the lines in the ashesofembers.tp2 that look like this will it not overwrite the Item Revison Strength/Dex requirements? its annoting me that my Str 10 thief can use Strongarm

WRITE_BYTE "0x26" "13" //stre & dex

Cheers

Eh...if I delete all the lines in the ashesofembers.tp2 that look like this will it not overwrite the Item Revison Strength/Dex requirements? its annoting me that my Str 10 thief can use Strongarm

WRITE_BYTE "0x26" "13" //stre & dex

Cheers

Well the point of AoE is to replace class restrictions with stat requirements. With the MOD component of AoE, all items of a certain type get the same requirements - it's the SoA/ToB components that overwrite these changes with custom values for each item. If there are specific items you want to change, it'd probably be best to add blocks like the one below for each item (either in your own separate mod or appended to the AoE mod component). You could probably steal the stat requirements for some of the items from the AoE components if you wanted.

COPY_EXISTING ~filename.itm~ ~override~
 PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE > 0x71) BEGIN
WRITE_BYTE 0x26 11 // minimum strength required
WRITE_BYTE 0x2c 8 // minimum dexterity required
 END
 BUT_ONLY

(Change 11 and 8 to your desired values.)

Edit: If anyone's unclear, the reason why IR and AoE's SoA/ToB components don't work together off-the-bat is:

1) IR overwrites items to give new "abilities" and descriptions

2) AoE patches items to give new "abilities" and overwrites their descriptions

So, if IR is installed first, AoE will overwrite item descriptions, leaving you looking at a description that likely doesn't match the item at all - except for the stat requirements. If AoE is installed first, its patches and descriptions are overwritten so it's as though it was never installed.

Well the point of AoE is to replace class restrictions with stat requirements.

Mmm but it replaces every bow's stat requirements with like I think 11 or 12 Str...even composite longbows, Strongarm etc. Anyway, deleting those couple lines in the script fixed it. All items are 100% IR now, but anyone can use them :( tbh its not unbalancing at all, Edwin doesn't suddenly become a melee monster when you give him a longsword :D

Thanks for all the help, an you guys are awesome!!

Archived