EAX

Guest aj

I accidentally stumbled upon this project today and I'm still in shock so forgive me if I'm less than coherent.

I've always found that EAX is a great boon for BG2 because it makes all the incredible voice acting in the game that much better. So I was thinking that perhaps you could implement a crude software based emulation. Or at least just a check that adds a little reverb in indoors areas.

Long live free software!

I've always found that EAX is a great boon for BG2 because it makes all the incredible voice acting in the game that much better. So I was thinking that perhaps you could implement a crude software based emulation. Or at least just a check that adds a little reverb in indoors areas.

GemRB's sound uses OpenAL, which is Creative's modern sound framework, so I think it would be very easy to add some effects.

It is not easy if you want to do in a 'free' way.

The part about reverb and such remained proprietary, as far as i know.

Well, AL_EFFECT_EAXREVERB should work where EAX worked in the first place, I think. And the latest version of the "OpenAL Soft" driver (which I think is mostly standard on Linux now, and we could ship it ourselves on Windows) supports it too - not completely, but good enough for GemRB I think.

Archived