AoE spells

Ardanis

Spell Turning & Spell Trap

Okay, I'll try to convince once more :)

How about switching Spell Turning's and Spell Trap's effect, so that only the 9th lvl spell will reflect back?

So you want to make Spell Trap Level 7? That would allow you many exploits, for instance allowing you to recharge your spells with Project Image clones without having any 9th Level spells.

Oh my...I forgot that huge exploit. :D I can't do anything about it though...at least I think. :D

IIRC some cowled wizards and liches use Spell Turing and Spell Trap just because they are high level mages and these two spells are more durable than their low level cousins. And when speaking Spell Turning and Spell Trap, I think the latter is no less powerful than the former: they both utilize the magic energy of incoming attacks, just in different ways.
I agree with Mercurier, I don't consider Spell Trap less effective than Spell Turning, what makes both spells much less appealing than they should is that only an idiot would cast spells at a wizard protected by these spells in BG. :rolleyes: In PnP I suppose you wouldn't be able to know these kind of protections are up until a spell is reflected back or you notice your spells are not effective at all.

New Animations

As for 4 spells in a row - Minor Spell Deflection (3), Minor Spell Trap (5), Spell Deflection (6), Spell Trap (7) - having the same hardcoded animation, I'm happy to announce that 'Protection: Spell Trap [259]' doesn't have to use the same .bam that 201, 204, 205 and 223 opcodes use. I've made a small exe patch for that, so it can be fixed at any time, provided there's a new suitable .bam to use.
Anyway, having a new bam for Spell Turing is a good news! I bet you can get some nice bams from IWD(2).
Well, personally I don't think Spell Turning animation is bad, but I do think Spell Deflection/Trap animation was. I'll attach here V3 animation for Spell Deflection/Trap, just put the two files into the override and let me know if you like it.

P.S I don't have much problems with Spell Deflection and Spell Trap sharing the same animation (the latter may be considered the most powerful version of it), but I think it may help to have Spell Immunity use a different animation, am I wrong?

New Animations

As I have PS:T installed, I searched for some ball-shaped bams and found s012aglb, s034glob (similar to Demi's attatchment) and s074loop. Hopen them would be useful :rolleyes: .

For IWD2, I guess good bams can be found with GoI, Anti-magic Shell, Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, Aegis, Storm Shell and Shield of Lathander.

New Animations

As I have PS:T installed, I searched for some ball-shaped bams and found s012aglb, s034glob (similar to Demi's attatchment) and s074loop. Hopen them would be useful :rolleyes: .
Well, if you can send me the relative vvc and bam files I may look at them. :)

For IWD2, I guess good bams can be found with GoI, Anti-magic Shell, Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, Aegis, Storm Shell and Shield of Lathander.
Yeah, IWD2 is the source of most new animations within SR, though unfortunately it seems many animations are hardcoded within the projectiles. :D

P.S Just so you know, SR's Storm Shield uses IWD's Storm Shell animation, and they actually are the very same spell.

AoE

So the general consensus is to leave things as they are. That's okay, I can always release it on my own. Only 1-2 more tweaks are needed now to build a 'pack'.

New animations

Great BAM :rolleyes:

P.S I don't have much problems with Spell Deflection and Spell Trap sharing the same animation (the latter may be considered the most powerful version of it), but I think it may help to have Spell Immunity use a different animation, am I wrong?
Out of my reach. I've searched for bam names and found them, but I'm not Taimon when it comes to decompiling and understanding the exe's innards. Deflection and Immunity seem to read from the same offset, unlike Trap, and how to separate them I've no idea.

PS Supposedly Taimon won't hate me if I seek his help once again. Or do you prefer to ask him personally?

Archived