Problem with Widescreen Mod after new patch in BG2 ToB

Guest Beth

I installed BG2 SoA and ToB and started playing without downloading the latest patch from bioware, then I downloaded and installed WSM (and it worked perfectly) and some other mods like NPC's and stuff, but the "you cannot initiate dialog, ____ appears busy" was driving me nuts to I downloaded the patch in hopes to fix it, but after I did all my mods were uninstalled, including WSM. I installed them again, but this time after I installed WSM successfully and loaded my game, the left side of the screen works (stuff like the map and inventory options) and the thing has been stretched out, but the character portraits and the dialogue box and the options at the bottom don't show up; it's just two black bars where they should be. I uninstalled WSM and reinstalled the patch and then installed WSM again, and the same thing happened. What'd I do wrong?? Should I uninstall the latest bioware patch?

Guest univern72
Same problem :)

Got through Chateau Irenicus with minimal difficulty, but now Galoomp will not talk to me.

I had a similar problem. The bottom and right parts of my HUD got screwed up and black and when I tried to click where buttons would be on them, it didn't make a confirmation sound or anything. I tried repatching then re-widescreen-modding, but that didn't work. I tried doing a widescreen mod uninstall, patching, then reinstalling, and that didn't work either. What DID work was reinstalling the whole game. Kind of a pain, but it works now. Make sure to keep your save files handy!

Guest matttc82

Got through Chateau Irenicus with minimal difficulty, but now Galoomp will not talk to me.

I had a similar problem. The bottom and right parts of my HUD got screwed up and black and when I tried to click where buttons would be on them, it didn't make a confirmation sound or anything. I tried repatching then re-widescreen-modding, but that didn't work. I tried doing a widescreen mod uninstall, patching, then reinstalling, and that didn't work either. What DID work was reinstalling the whole game. Kind of a pain, but it works now. Make sure to keep your save files handy!

Anybody know if a complete reinstall is necessary or can I just reinstall ToB?

The game doesn't have a HUD, it does have a GUI(a Graphical User Interface), which is probably where you have all the problems coming from, as you installed a GUI mod after you installed the Widescreen mod. Which is what you shouldn't do.

Anybody know if a complete reinstall is necessary or can I just reinstall ToB?
Well, you need a complete reinstall, install the BGII - SoA first, then install the BGII - ToB, and then the ToB patch that is v(2.5.)26498, do not install the patch 26499 as that's a beta that was never finished. The start the game, and use the import a character to begin a fast trial(for example if you see black boxes where the items are lay on the ground, there's something off and you need to adjust your graphical settings via the BGConfig.exe), so the game autosaves after which you can exit the game. I would recommend that you would then copy the whole of the game folder to have a clean backup which if you can use by first deleting the game folder and copying the backup folder in it's place.

Then you can use mods to modify the games, and remember that you have to install the GUI mods before you install the Widescreen mod, so I would install the Widescreen mod fairly late.

Guest Guest

Sorry to drag this up. But I have a problem.

I tried to uninstall a component from a different mod (it was the improved vampires from scsii), but for some reason it uninstalled the widescreen mod instead.

So I went and reinstalled the ws mod, but when I went into the game, the right hand sidebar is... broken. I can't see anything on it, nothing works...

If it turns out I have to reinstall the entire game... what will this affect? Will it screw up my progress? Will it change mod-added items? NPCs?

I don't even know where to start with the process...

Please help, this is really stressy!

I tried to uninstall a component from a different mod (it was the improved vampires from scsii), but for some reason it uninstalled the widescreen mod instead.
That's because you installed the removed mod before you installed widescreen mod. As the installation program needs to remove the files in the order to remove the actual changes to keep accurate order, and thus also the intended file content.

So I went and reinstalled the ws mod, but when I went into the game, the right hand sidebar is... broken. I can't see anything on it, nothing works...
Hmm, could it be that you installed a GUI mod after the widescreen mod.

If it turns out I have to reinstall the entire game... what will this affect? Will it screw up my progress? Will it change mod-added items? NPCs?
Well, the saved information in you savegames might have false references, which might cause wrong names show up, names as in dialog lines and weapon descriptions instead of say 'Imoen' as the characters name... to avoid that, the best option always is to think what to install before you do, keep it simple, so you don't have to uninstall things, and remain with the install order so long as you intend to load the saves made with it.
Guest Guest
That's because you installed the removed mod before you installed widescreen mod. As the installation program needs to remove the files in the order to remove the actual changes to keep accurate order, and thus also the intended file content.

Hmm, could it be that you installed a GUI mod after the widescreen mod.

Well, the saved information in you savegames might have false references, which might cause wrong names show up, names as in dialog lines and weapon descriptions instead of say 'Imoen' as the characters name... to avoid that, the best option always is to think what to install before you do, keep it simple, so you don't have to uninstall things, and remain with the install order so long as you intend to load the saves made with it.

Hmmm.

Well, my installation was done with the BWP thing, I selected recommended and didn't change any of the settings for that.

THEN when that was done, I installed the Widescreen mod, and nothing else after it.

See, I didn't intend to uninstall anything initially, but the component I wanted to remove was causing my game to crash, so I kinda had to try.

Guest Guest
So, what do I delete / uninstall to completely reinstall all the mods?
You should run the BiG World Setup.vbs again... as it should give you the option to reinstall everything.

Ah, okay. Thanks!

I made a backup of some important files of the clean installation (dialog.tlk, override folder etc).

Should I put those back in before I reinstall mods?

I made a backup of some important files of the clean installation (dialog.tlk, override folder etc).

Well, the override folder is full of the old mod material so you don't want to put that there... the dialog.tlk might be good to place to the game folder but it might cause problems too... if I were you, I would just go with the BWS'es reinstall of everything, as it restores the whole of the game from it's own backup.... so I wouldn't put anything to the game folder as the clean install is always far safer.
Guest Guest

Well, the override folder is full of the old mod material so you don't want to put that there... the dialog.tlk might be good to place to the game folder but it might cause problems too... if I were you, I would just go with the BWS'es reinstall of everything, as it restores the whole of the game from it's own backup.... so I wouldn't put anything to the game folder as the clean install is always far safer.

Ok thanks. The process has started so we'll see.

Btw, the BWS's backup has those things in it... so..

Archived