New component

Ardanis

Aka 'Scrolls for Wizards'.

It's been suggested on IR borads, but decided to belong to SCS rather than IR.

The idea is very similar to the Potion component - wizards (and probably priests too) receive extra scrolls to cast from.

I understand, however, that AI weights heavy enough already, so it likely is not a wise idea to bloat it further. Especially because spellcasting requires more code than potion usage.

There's a trick, however, I might be having here - instead of directly using scroll items, provide casters with extra spellslots, above their normal limit, without increasing the amount of blocks or their size, it will also make 'scroll casting' interruptable as per PnP (Rogue Rebalancing does very similar thing too).

The drawback is that droppable scrolls can't be taken into account by their owner, so it's possible for him to run out of, say, Breaches while still hanging on a couple of Breach scrolls. RP explanation can be that those two scrolls were slightly damaged and unusable for the immediate casting, although PC can loot them and repair for his/her own later use (scrolls aren't potions, they don't spill on the ground if damaged :)).

Another semi-problem of suggested scenario is that since scrolls aren't expendable by enemies, they'll drop more than they should balance wise, so the best way would be to provide half as many scrolls as extra memorized spells. That's on top of 'X% of scrolls are retrievable'.

I don't think there's a strong case for my putting this into SCS. Running out of spell slots is not something I find a significant constraint in scripting SCS mages; conversely, those scrolls are going to get into the hands of the player and be enormously useful to him. Bottom line: I think this will make mages easier, not harder, to kill. If I'm missing something, let me know.

Archived