[0SX] BG2 Assertion Error Line 3063

Guest Paulyboy

Guest Paulyboy

Hello,

I just finally finished off Bodhi but when trying to head back to the Underdark Exit the game always crashes and the following message pops up:

An Assertion failed in

infScreenWorldMap.cpp at line number

Programmer says: Bad Area file, in area

"AR2500" need entry point "CDExit".

I reinstalled the entire game and added the official patch but that didn't work. I manually copied and replaced "AR2500" but that didn't work either.

Finally I installed the "BG2 FixPack" and most of the components from the "BG2 TweakPack" and still no change.

It would be a bummer to not being able to finally finish this wonderful game after playing it off and on for years; Any help would be greatly appreciated. :-)

-PN

Guest Paulyboy

Hello,

Somebody on the Inside Mac Games forums solved my problem. Here's what he said:

Yeah, CDExit is an area entry point added by the BG2 fixpack. It looks like you somehow have a frankenstallation of the game (did you uninstall mods while in progress, I wonder?) that is probably going to be tough to fix.

You could swap out the saved world map (stored in the saved game folder), but then you'd lose access to all the areas. The area file itself is now packaged up in your SAV file, so making changes to it elsewhere won't matter. (The world map will be whatever version you had when you started the game, and the area file will be whatever version you had when the area was first loaded.)

You should be able to download a copy of HexEdit, open the WORLDMAP.WMP file from the saved game folder (after making a copy of the folder and renaming it), and find and replace all instances of "CDExit" with "000000000000"

Find: 43 44 45 78 69 74

Replace: 00 00 00 00 00 00

Matching: Hex

You can do a case-insensitive ASCII search afterward to make sure you got them all. If so, you can then launch the game, load the (newly copied) saved game, and attempt to travel to the Underdark exit.

-PN

It sounds like you installed or uninstalled the Fixpack with a game in progress. For any mods, particularly big ones like fixpacks, you want to start a new game after installing the mod (or uninstalling it) and you probably won't get this error. I wouldn't try hacking around with an editor to fix it but I suppose it's theoretically possible (though you will no doubt run into other problems).

Archived