[OS X] BGII crashing on launch after re-install

ericp07

Hello,

Please move this to whatever forum is most appropriate, if not this one.

Each launch of BGII - SoA/ToB (latest patch) results in a crash due to an assertion failure, with the explanation "Programmer says: Unable to Open BIF:data:MISSound.bif"

Here's my weidu.log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1000 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update -> GTU Light (by Wisp): v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Super Happy Fun Lucky Modder Pack: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!): v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #102 // Cromwell's Forging Actually Takes a Day: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #103 // Mixed-Use Dagger Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings,	Dwarves, and Gnomes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers	and Stalkers: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in   Wrath Hell Trial: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #112 // Wizard Slayers Cause Miscast Magic on Ranged Attacks: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes: v9
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #114 // Change Free Action to Protect Against Stun: v9
~SETUP-YVETTE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Yvette Romance - BG2 Romance Character

I've never seen this error before. This is the first time I've installed Yvette without any other mods besides BGII Fixpack. I previously had it installed with several other mods, but one of those caused another type of crashing error, so I restored critical files from a backup folder I keep inside the game folder. I then proceeded with the above installs, then ran a test game. I edited baldur.ini to add cheats, logging, and blood patch.

The only thing I can think of that might solve this is to completely re-install from the game discs, but I'd like to avoid that if possible. If it turns out that redoing the game is necessary, I do have an archived copy of a clean install that I made for just such an occurance, so that's standing by. Could someone please help me to correct this and get the game going?

Thanks and best wishes,

Eric

This issue is now moot, as I've restored critical files from a backed-up clean install + BG2 Fixpack, and installed the mod I'm testing on top of that. Got a test game going, so all appears well now.

Thanks,

Eric

Now this error is back, after installing BG2 Fixpack over a backed-up clean install! I have no recourse except to delete my entire game and reinstall from the discs, apply the ToB patch, again install BG2 Fixpack, and hope for the best.

I'd dearly like to know how to troubleshoot this error, at least, and fix it, rather than reinstall time and again.

Thanks,

Eric

Just found and used a different copy of the _backup folder, so used that to restore critical files. Launched game, which took me to the point of joining a game or starting a new game. Quit, installed BGII Fixpack. Got a game to start. Quit after first auto-save, and now on to installing and testing another mod that's being developed.

- E

I don't recall whether or not I've mentioned this before, but I've noticed that, if I edit baldur.ini using TextWrangler, and save it (Unix, Unicode 8 no BOM), the game crashes with the assertion failure, but if I edit in and save the file using TextEdit, the game loads and runs fine.

So, there it is :)

Thanks,

Eric

The .ini file must use Mac Classic (CR) linebreaks.

The reason you use TextWrangler is because it supports CR linebreaks.

TextEdit will not destroy existing CR linebreaks, but any new lines you add will use LF linebreaks (which the game cannot parse).

The .ini file must use Mac Classic (CR) linebreaks.

The reason you use TextWrangler is because it supports CR linebreaks.

TextEdit will not destroy existing CR linebreaks, but any new lines you add will use LF linebreaks (which the game cannot parse).

So noted. I'll have to make a note of this, as it differs from the rest of my file handling.

Thanks,

Eric

Archived