Domination, Flame Blade bug

Guest Rambus

Guest Rambus

Hi!

I have succesfully installed the BG II fixpack v9. I have also chosen to install the BETA fixes and the optional but cool features. Before installing the fixpack I had of course installed the latest official patch.

I have troubles with two of my favourite spells:

Although the documentary on core fixes claims that Flame Blade has been corrected to deal just 1d4 slashing and 1d2+4 fire damage, it still does more than 1d4 slashing damage and gets bonuses to THAC0 - sometimes +1 or even +5.

The second issue is with Mental Domination or Domination. Sometimes it happens that I succesfully dominate someone but the dominated creature becomes instantly an enemy again without me attacking him. This doesn't occur every time but this bug can actually lose a fight. These are awesome spells so it annoys me that they don't work properly.

Is there a way to fix these problems? I am looking forward to your answers. Furthermore I want to say that I really admire your work you have done on the fix.

Rambus

Guest Rambus
Although the documentary on core fixes claims that Flame Blade has been corrected to deal just 1d4 slashing and 1d2+4 fire damage, it still does more than 1d4 slashing damage and gets bonuses to THAC0 - sometimes +1 or even +5.

Sorry, I forgot that you get a +4 THAC0 and damage bonus when attacking an unarmed opponent or someone wielding a ranged weapon. (I tested the damage on kobolds who have ranged or melee weapons that's why I was confused) So the damage is working correctly. But I still get a THAC0 bonus +1 when I cast the spell.

Guest Rambus
Are you sure it isn't the elf long sword bonus?

I have tested the flame blade with Viconia and Anomen - you are right, Viconia gets a +1 bonus as an elf and Anomen gets no bonus. I had no idea that the Flame Blade is considered to be a long sword because the spell description says that the Flame Blade is a sword which the caster knows hence there are no bonuses or penalties. So if Viconia specializes in long sword will she get a +2 to THAC0? (+1 for specialization and +1 for the elf bonus)

I am still testing the Mental domination. So far it worked normally on creatures like mephits, ogre mages, goblins and kobolds. The problem I described above occurs often with humans. I fought the party of Tarnor the Hatchetman in the sewers beneath the Temple district several times. Although I succesfully dominated Zorl or Gallchobhair, their green circles turned immediately to red circles and I couldn't control them anymore. They attacked my party as if they were enemies but their own party members turned on them as if they were dominated. Weeeird

Guest Rambus
I am still testing the Mental domination. So far it worked normally on creatures like mephits, ogre mages, goblins and kobolds. The problem I described above occurs often with humans. I fought the party of Tarnor the Hatchetman in the sewers beneath the Temple district several times. Although I succesfully dominated Zorl or Gallchobhair, their green circles turned immediately to red circles and I couldn't control them anymore. They attacked my party as if they were enemies but their own party members turned on them as if they were dominated. Weeeird

HEY! I think I figured it out! Gallchobhair is an elf (guessing from his appearance) and elves have 90% charm resistance. Without the BG II fixpack I could charm and dominate him without problems. The BG II fixpack fixes this resistance therefore I was unable to charm him (the text "Dire charmed" didn't appear). But with this immunity applied I was also unable to dominate him (although the text "Dominated" appeared in the battle text window when he failed a saving throw)

So the charm immunity also protects against domination???

As for the other members of the evil party in the sewers the domination spells worked quite correctly. Sometimes the domination is cancelled when I move or attack with the dominated character immediately after a successful domination. But when I wait for a round or so I can controll them without problems.

Archived