Some problems

Guest guest_david

Guest guest_david

Hi!

I am not sure if this mod causes the problem. When a NPC joins the party, he/she has always strange xp values. When I was lvl 1, Kivan joined and had 2258xp, later when I was lvl 4, Jaheira had 2258 xp in both classes and Khalid 3138 upon joining.

I thought for example when I have more than 1000-2000-4000-8000-16000-32000 xp, the joining NPC will have the lowest amount. When my protagonist has for example 25400 xp, the joining NPC will have 16000. (This is the vanilla behaviour I think)

I not installed the "Joinable NPCs more closely match the PC's experience" component, because I feel it a bit cheesy, but it works correctly.

The another problem is that I added the "level1npcs.tp2" from http://anduin.net/~knan/bg2/ but still cannot assign a new kit for Hear'Dalis.

Sorry for my horrible english.

When I was lvl 1, Kivan joined and had 2258xp, later when I was lvl 4, Jaheira had 2258 xp in both classes and Khalid 3138 upon joining.
All of that is expected behaviour in the unmodded game. Might want to double-check Jaheira though, since she should have more XP than that even at L1 (3572 according to this).
I not installed the "Joinable NPCs more closely match the PC's experience" component, because I feel it a bit cheesy, but it works correctly.
The mod working should also be expected behaviour (we hope) - if it's installed. So what's the problem then? (Apart from Haer'Dalis, which I think is/was a known issue.)
Guest guest_david

After a little testing I found out that SCS's "Allow player to choose NPC proficiencies and skills" component causes that thing that joining NPC's exp. depends on the protagonist's own exp. amount.

Is there any solution for Haer'Dalis-changing bug?

Guest guest_david

With SCS's comp. installed the level-depended xp is following

I f you have 1001-2000 xp the NPC will gain 1000

2001-4000 2000

4001-8000 4000

and so on to the maximum of 32000 xp. So this is definitely a SCS issue.

With SCS's comp. installed the level-depended xp is following

I f you have 1001-2000 xp the NPC will gain 1000

2001-4000 2000

4001-8000 4000

and so on to the maximum of 32000 xp. So this is definitely a SCS issue.

Oh. Actually this shouldn't allow modding the BG1 NPCs if that SCS component is installed. So that check should apply to the level-dependent component too for those NPCs. I've added it for the next release.
Is there any solution for Haer'Dalis-changing bug?
I don't know exactly what the problem is and haven't tried to reproduce it (yet). When you say you can't assign him a kit, what do you mean? Does the Haer'Dalis component install but you see no changes in the game, or does it give an ERROR? If the latter, open up SETUP-LEVEL1NPCS.DEBUG with a text editor and paste the few lines (about 10 or so either way) before and after the ERROR message.
Guest guest_david

Oh. Actually this shouldn't allow modding the BG1 NPCs if that SCS component is installed. So that check should apply to the level-dependent component too for those NPCs. I've added it for the next release.

Yes, there is a minor imcompatibility between SCS's "Allow player to choose NPC proficiencies and skills" comp's level-depended exp. points and Level One NPCs. When a NPC joins he will have nearly the same amount of xp that the protagonist has. This happens without the "Joinable NPCs more closely match the PCs experience" comp. installed.

Yes, there is a minor imcompatibility between SCS's "Allow player to choose NPC proficiencies and skills" comp's level-depended exp. points and Level One NPCs. When a NPC joins he will have nearly the same amount of xp that the protagonist has. This happens without the "Joinable NPCs more closely match the PCs experience" comp. installed.
There's no incompatibility if you haven't got that L1NPCs component installed. That's how the SCS component works.
Allow player to choose NPC proficiencies and skills

At the moment the various NPCs who join your party have their existing proficiencies, thief skills etc. determined for you according to what the designers of BG and/or Tutu had in mind. There's nothing wrong with this, but it can be interesting - especially if you've played several times - to have more flexibility.

This component gives you the chance to select each character's proficiencies from scratch. It does so in a slightly convoluted way (to get around game-engine difficulties): when a new NPC joins your party, they start at level 0. They immediately go up a level, so you get to choose their starting skills. As soon as you've levelled them, they gain enough experience to go up to about the level of the PC, and you can give them any remaining proficiencies.

Furthermore, you seem to be misunderstanding how NPCs work in the unmodded game, as you've also posted here. There are typically several copies of an NPC in the vanilla game. They have different XP amounts and they're not consistent. You can see that in the first Dudleyville link I gave above. The NPC file closest to your level will join, but it some cases their XP could be wildly different from yours, and it will not be a round number in BG1 (in BG2 this is more typical). It could be less XP than yours, it could be more. Hence the reason for the "Joinable NPCs more closely match the PC's experience" component.

Also, if you post your error message from your .DEBUG file as I described, it might help with Haer'Dalis. We have other reports, but without more data, we have no idea if this is the same thing or not.

Archived