a suggestion for a new component

DrAzTiK

What do you think about a component boosting enemy that interupt party resting, especially in dongeons. (and maybe also tweak a bit probability to be interrupt)
This, on the other hand, would be incredibly easy to write, as it'd only take a few lines of code to alter both the number of creatures and probability in all area files (in the rest interruptions section). You could actually give the player several subcomponent choices in the same component for varying difficulty. Possibly even a "random" choice to make things interesting.

I second this. Sounds great.

This particular idea could also make for a good optional component, I think:

You can't lay out really random traps, but you can, say, add statically 30 traps to an area and randomly enable or disable them.

Adding a reasonably large number of static traps to the existing dungeons and randomly enabling them could greatly re-invigorate the business and role-playing potential of trap detection. For those who would enjoy such things, anyway. For me, I expect it would simply bog down the game (e.g., Chateau Irenicus is tedious enough), but it's still something very much worth considering, in my opinion.

As to the subject of enemies randomly trapping the area on rest interrupts, it could work, I think, but it would depend to an extent on the implementation. If the power level of the traps were toned down (in comparison to those available to the player), and variety introduced in their effects (à la RR's Bounty Hunter), then I could see such a change as being quite interesting. It would need playtesting to determine an appropriate balance, though.

Would these traps be physically placed snares, visible on the ground and triggered in proximity of party members? Or would you simply simulate their effects with a spell?

Archived