a suggestion for a new component

DrAzTiK

Hello David,

What do you think about a component boosting enemy that interupt party resting, especially in dongeons. (and maybe also tweak a bit probability to be interrupt)

Personally, I am not at all to forbid sleeping in dongeons (except in some rare cases) but creatures that interupt party are always so pathetic and/or in a few numbers. Between forbid sleep and allow 100% safe sleeping, we may find something more interessing.

I also think it could make thiefs traps more appealings and essentials . (and maybe make thief almost indispensable ). Same for trap spells.

You will surely not like it but another suggestion : considering the annoying bug with trolls, what about make them less boring to fight. Maybe get out the need to finish them with fire or acid and give to them some new ability.

In PnP, trolls are supposed to be kill with decapitation. But the problem is not really fire or acid but the delay before trolls lay down of course.

Dungeons: sounds like a decent idea (although that's not my cup of tea). However, people will end up complaining that either the interruptors don't give XP when killed, or they will complain that you could abuse them for infinite XP.

Traps: all you'd achieve by that is to say "fuck you" to soloers. I'm not sure how that could be a good idea.

Trolls: Tactics has a component that does what you're suggesting: it removes the MINHP items from trolls (so that they don't need fire or acid to die), but add 66% resistance to other damage sources as a balancing measure (they end up about as hard as before to a standard party with the appropriate elemental weapons).

Ohh I will check for tactics trolls component. Thank you very much

About traps : well maybe thief traps should also need to be rebalanced a bit. Nobody complain about thief traps but if I am not wrong, a single normal thief trap can hit all creatures. (and damage are really high)

But even in BG2, it's also not really easy to have 100 points in "set traps" and if even you have 100% it deserves to be usefull (and set traps before resting is the less tricky way to use traps imo)

About XP : we are not the police? ;) Nevermind, XP will always be a joke in BG2. (that's why I install a limit for each chapter)

Oh, I thought you were suggesting to make the traps normally found in dungeons harder, so that you needed a thief because you'd receive too much damage by setting them off. You must be the first person to suggest buffing the traps the party can set.

In fact I find vanilla thief trap a bit too much powerfull (in some circonstance) and/or inconsistent.

Damn Ardanis, your mod seems really awesome. I ofen check Miscellaneous Released part but I have never catch sight of your mod. ^^ (but your traps seems really powerfull )

Traps are one thing in BG2 where the party and the enemy seem to be in different leagues, frankly. Traps which have been purportedly "laid by enemies" are always static and in the same location, and can be detected and disarmed by the party. Traps laid by the party can go anywhere, and cannot be disarmed.

Is this one of those hardcoded things? It would be so cool if an enemy offscreen laid a few random traps. Or, in the spirit of the thread, you were woken by enemies who had surrounded your party with a few traps...

Is this one of those hardcoded things? It would be so cool if an enemy offscreen laid a few random traps. Or, in the spirit of the thread, you were woken by enemies who had surrounded your party with a few traps...

You can't lay out really random traps, but you can, say, add statically 30 traps to an area and randomly enable or disable them.

You can't lay out really random traps, but you can, say, add statically 30 traps to an area and randomly enable or disable them.
Um, how would you do this aside from on an area-by-area basis? Unless you weren't bothered by spawning traps inside walls and such, or did some pretty insane calculations based on .wed files and such.
What do you think about a component boosting enemy that interupt party resting, especially in dongeons. (and maybe also tweak a bit probability to be interrupt)
This, on the other hand, would be incredibly easy to write, as it'd only take a few lines of code to alter both the number of creatures and probability in all area files (in the rest interruptions section). You could actually give the player several subcomponent choices in the same component for varying difficulty. Possibly even a "random" choice to make things interesting.
Um, how would you do this aside from on an area-by-area basis? Unless you weren't bothered by spawning traps inside walls and such, or did some pretty insane calculations based on .wed files and such.

Ask Simding0. He had some code that added and randomized traps in one of his mods and/or proofs-of-concept.

Is this one of those hardcoded things? It would be so cool if an enemy offscreen laid a few random traps.
aVENGER used several thief traps for his Chosen encounter. And IIRC some of big mods (TDD, SOS, CTB, TS, BP) also used to lay random traps, more likely BP. But of course, those couldn't be disarmed/detected.

I could see creatures setting random traps, if for example they heard a shout from an ally that there was an enemy in the area. But this:

Or, in the spirit of the thread, you were woken by enemies who had surrounded your party with a few traps...
I don't think you could do it so the traps were already set when you woke up. You'd have allow at least a few seconds to let the spawned creatures set the traps (and would therefore probably see them do it also, unfortunately).

Edit: but hmm, you could spawn some invisible creatures who set traps immediately as their first action and then disappeared perhaps, though I think you still might see that getting done?

Archived