1st level charm

Pacek

Quick question:

Does SR touch it, and what is normal behaviour? In my game when a party member gets charmed, they do nothing, but stand and wait until the spell wears off. Pretty harmless stuff. But if I cast it on an enemy, I can control all their actions. What's the deal?

This is exactly what I reported to David ages ago here, thinking it was related to SCS. I don't know if it's intended behaviour or not, though it's true to PnP where 1st lvl Charm Person doesn't allow complete control over the target like Domination, nor make the affected creature attack his old allies like Dire Charm (speaking of which, I just discovered PnP Dire Charm is a FR spell, and that it should cause the target to go berserk).

Anyway, it's hardly related to SR because I simply use the hardcoded opcode. I cannot make Charm work in any other way (e.g. I cannot make it as per PnP), thus if charmed party members stand still while charmed AI characters can be fully controlled by players there's little I can do (at least as far as I know). :)

What about making any hostile action made under 1st level Charm breaking it?
Adding anything on top of the hardcoded 'charm' opcode means that we have to patch every creature immune to it to protect her from the additional effect too, and we'd have to do the same to all items/spells granting protection to Charm. That would force this spell to be a separate component because you'd have to install it after any mod adding such files.

What you're suggesting can be done in a "harmless" way but it would be "incomplete". Adding a melee/ranged EFF that dispel a custom secondary type (Charm) would be harmless even without patching cre/it/spl files, because on a "charm immune target" affected by it would do nothing. But that doesn't cover spellcasters, and I'm not sure we can even a similar solution for them. I thought about disabling spellcasting button but that would be harmless for the AI, not for a party member, who could end up with such button disabled even when not charmed.

Archived