Armor and Weapon Coloration

Dermit

A couple of things I noticed while browsing through the Arms and Equipment Guide concerning item coloration that I thought I'd bring up. Purely back burner stuff, but it wouldn't hurt to move a few things closer to PnP eh?

In game Elven Chainmail has a completely green metallic look, according to the guide:

Description: Elven chain mail is the only form of armor made of a legendary elven alloy, a light-weight silvery steel of great strength. Even without enchantment, elven chain mail is typically half the weight of its human-forged counterpart.

And I forget, but if we have any dwarven forged armors then this might be applied:

Description: The forged black iron plate made by the dwarves exclusively for their own warrior leaders is both heavy and unattractive by human and elven standards. However, dwarves have traditionally placed less emphasis on appearance than on personal defense. Dwarven warriors who wear dwarven plate are often called "waddling cauldrons" by their enemies due to the bulk of this armor.

And as for Drow armor:

Description: Drow chain mail is a finely-crafted, satiny black metal mesh that does not encumber its wearer in the least. It is similar, but not identical to, the magical elven chain mail described previously. It is typically fashioned only into tunics, as drow elves share their forest-bound cousins' preference for armor that adequately protects without being overly weighty or restrictive.

And while I realize that the new mage robes are standardized robes, am I the only one who finds it boring for most mages to end up the same color? Being mages (a vain lot) I imagine most would have altered the robes to display whatever color they would like.

Also, as a minor quibble perhaps the number of glowing weapons could be toned down (or a better color found). This is a personal preference of course, but to me it begins to look like a bunch of lightsabers, as the weapon details are obscured (ex. Valygar's Katana, Arbane's Sword).

In game Elven Chainmail has a completely green metallic look, according to the guide:
As a matter of personal preference, I'd stick to vanilla in it's use of green hues.

Dwarven warriors who wear dwarven plate are often called "waddling cauldrons" by their enemies due to the bulk of this armor.
ROFL... Well, Korgan does look a waddling cauldron when he wears plate mail!

And while I realize that the new mage robes are standardized robes, am I the only one who finds it boring for most mages to end up the same color? Being mages (a vain lot) I imagine most would have altered the robes to display whatever color they would like.
I think the problem is that robe paperdoll has much less space for metal/leather/armor colours than armored ones.

Also, as a minor quibble perhaps the number of glowing weapons could be toned down (or a better color found). This is a personal preference of course, but to me it begins to look like a bunch of lightsabers, as the weapon details are obscured (ex. Valygar's Katana, Arbane's Sword).
Agreed for white glowing weapons, they seem common enough.
Elven chain mail is the only form of armor made of a legendary elven alloy, a light-weight silvery steel of great strength. Even without enchantment, elven chain mail is typically half the weight of its human-forged counterpart. ...

Drow chain mail is a finely-crafted, satiny black metal mesh that does not encumber its wearer in the least. It is similar, but not identical to, the magical elven chain mail described previously. It is typically fashioned only into tunics, as drow elves share their forest-bound cousins' preference for armor that adequately protects without being overly weighty or restrictive.

Afaik I've done my best with their colors, but I don't remember if I changed them much from how they look in V2.

Are you suggesting to not set major/minor color and have them not look like their bams or to have more different bams in the first place?

V2 robes had only 3 variants and even elemental robes followed that pattern but now they have different bams and colors (red, acquamarine, blue and I added a green Robe of Acid Resistance). I like very much to have elemental robes display appropriate colors.

If someone can edit the other bams and make them use different colors I'd be more than glad to alter their colors. For example Knive's Robe should probably use dark colors instead of being white and gold like the Robe of Weave, and Adventurer's Robe may not use the same colors of the Robe of Arcane Might, etc. Larloch and Apprenti robes already use different colors (black-dark brown the former, grey-light brown the latter).

I think I've removed a bunch of glowing effect yes, and I also edited quite a few glowing effects but I'll take a quick overall look at it again. As a general rule I'd say only highly enchanted weapons should have them.
Are you suggesting to not set major/minor color and have them not look like their bams or to have more different bams in the first place?

The former, though I'll have to see how it looks in V3 sounds like you have been busy. I understand wanting it to match up with the bam, just thought it seemed kind of lame for most the mages to end up wearing black or grey.

Afaik I've done my best with their colors, but I don't remember if I changed them much from how they look in V2.

Just a personal preference, and one I might change to suit myself but I never liked the green elven chain mail. Guess I always had more of a Tolkien idea of Elves going.

Ah well. Merry two days before Christmas!

The former, though I'll have to see how it looks in V3 sounds like you have been busy. I understand wanting it to match up with the bam, just thought it seemed kind of lame for most the mages to end up wearing black or grey.
You're forgetting white!! :)

Jokes aside, as I said, convince yarpen to alter a bunch of bams and I'll realize your wishes. :D

Just a personal preference, and one I might change to suit myself but I never liked the green elven chain mail. Guess I always had more of a Tolkien idea of Elves going.
Same as above, if bams are green armors are green. I wouldn't be against turning some Elven Chains into non-green silvery armors (Sylvan one has to remain green imo), but within IR I want in-game items to match their icons/bams.

Ah well. Merry two days before Christmas!
:)

Just the BAM coloration for the regular and possibly Aslyferund Elven Mail from green to silver. This would bring it more in line with PnP lore. I don't know if this is different in FR lore though, or if anyone else would even care for this.

Thinking along the lines of elven stuff...

From Complete Book of Elves

While dwarves and humans certainly have the edge on constructing various types of plate armor, it is hardly a forbidden science to the elves. Although there are even fewer suits of elven plate than there are of elven chain, intrepid explorers have turned up several variations. The DM should keep in mind that elven plate is rare enough that few PCs will run across it and, if they do, it will likely belong to an elf warrior.

Elven plate is mostly used as ceremonial armor, for elves do not like the lack of mobility plate affords. This means that virtually every suit of elven plate is ornately decorated; it is not often that elf armorers are given a chance to combine such utility with beauty.

Still, despite its decorative appearance, elven plate provides as much protection as any human suit of plate armor. And because of the skill of elf armorers, it is lighter than most plate armor, weighing only as much as typical human chain mail. Unfortunately, elven plate does not allow the silent movement that elven chain does, and it cannot be worn by any but fighters, clerics, and their multiclass variations.

Multiclassed spellcasters find elven plate to be a special boon for, like elven chain, it allows its user to cast spells and still wear armor. However, as mentioned before, elves do not wear this armor as often as they do elven chain, for it hampers the freedom of movement they relish.

Elf cavaliers are the main users of elven plate. It inspires humans, they find, and they savor the impressions made on these people. Other races also tend to be impressed by elves wearing elven plate; for what reason the elves fail to fathom. Many elves capitalize on this effect, however.

Elven plate, of whatever variety, is extraordinarily rare. In reality, perhaps 5% (if even that) of elven chain found is actually elven plate. Each suit is personalized, and the owner would not be hard to ascertain by the decorations on the armor. Rest assured that the owner or any heirs would be very happy to see the armor returned; likewise, they would take serious offense if another being had stolen it or was wearing it.

If it is difficult for a human to earn elven chain, it is impossible to earn elven plate. Only elves can wear it, for each suit is custom-made and unique. Unless a human is exceptionally slight, there is no chance of fitting into a suit of elven plate. Halflings, dwarves, and gnomes cannot wear it either, unless they are especially tall and slender. Only half-elves can reasonably expect a suit to fit them, and even they can squeeze in only with discomfort. In most cases, it is far easier simply to return elven plate to its rightful owners and hope for a token of appreciation.

In the name of diversity it would be interesting to make the Aslyferund armor a an enchanted elven plate armor, rather than an upgraded chain.

What about colours of robes? These are mine propositions.

Knave's Robe: grey

Traveler's Robe: brown

Adventurer's Robe: red (but different than this from elemental robe)

Robe of the Weave: white

Robe of the Battlemage: this one is going to be my special project. ^^

Robe of Arcane Might: violet

What about colours of robes? These are mine propositions.

Knave's Robe: grey

Traveler's Robe: brown

Adventurer's Robe: red (but different than this from elemental robe)

Robe of the Weave: white

Robe of the Battlemage: this one is going to be my special project. ^^

Robe of Arcane Might: violet

Knave's Robe: I'd probably replace its white with black, and its gold with dark blue

Traveler's Robe: I'd just replace its grey with a light brown typical of "traveler's robes"

Adventurer's Robe: if you want a violet robe I'd use this instead of RoAM (it would even be appropriate to its Cormyr's origins)

Robe of the Weave: it's already fine imo, though its white tends to a grey scale

Robe of the Battlemage: I'd leave it untouched, what special plan did you have?

Robe of Arcane Might: I'd leave it untouched

Robe of the Battlemage: I'd leave it untouched, what special plan did you have?

Well, this BAM would be a sort of blackmail on you, to make it grant to it's wearer AC: 5. :) Adding some armored parts (something on shoulder, minor breastplate) would be cool I think. I'm going to try

Archived