SCSII on Linux: progress

grodrigues

Ok, I tried to install SCSII over a fresh SoA + ToB + patch install with ascension and fixpack. It is my intention to add some more mods (including BGT, SCS and Wheels, but none of the big BG mods) but this install was just for testing purposes. I could have skipped ascension, but since it goes before the fixpack I decided to add it already.

As for SCSII, I followed the instructions in SCSII linux patch. Basically:

- Downloaded the Mac OS X package.

- run tolower on the mod contents.

- applied his patch to scsii/ssl/ssl.tph (basically, adding EXACT to one line).

- run "find scsii -exec sed -e's/scsII/scsii/g' -i {} \;" to replaces 'scsII' with 'scsii' in all files in the scsii file tree.

I installed exactly the components I like and that will go in the final, complete installation. Most spell tweaks are installed (exception: MMM and Greater Restoration were left unchanged) while almost none of the item tweaks were installed (one exception: staff of the magi invisible cheese was removed). AI is for the most part at its most difficult (fast uninterruptable magic for everyone, improved staying power, mages and priests prebuff, etc.) and most of the tactical challenges were installed.

Generalized biffing was also installed because with an overrifde folder with over 9000 files, the game was unplayable (this is a well-known issue with wine and case-sensitive filesystems). Curiously enough, after biffing, there were still over 150 files in the override folder, most of them named dw#<something>...

Here is the complete WeiDU log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~ASCENSION/SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #0 // Ascension v1.41 (requires ToB)
~ASCENSION/SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #1 // Tougher Abazigal (optional, requires ToB)
~ASCENSION/SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #2 // Original Tougher Demogorgon (optional, requires ToB)
~ASCENSION/SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #3 // Tougher Gromnir (optional, requires ToB)
~ASCENSION/SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #4 // Tougher Illasera (optional, requires ToB)
~ASCENSION/SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #5 // Tougher Yaga-Shura (optional, requires ToB)
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1000 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update -> GTU Light (by Wisp): v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Super Happy Fun Lucky Modder Pack: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!): v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #102 // Cromwell's Forging Actually Takes a Day: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #103 // Mixed-Use Dagger Fixes: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings,	Dwarves, and Gnomes: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in   Wrath Hell Trial: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #112 // Wizard Slayers Cause Miscast Magic on Ranged Attacks: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes: v9.01
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Detectable spells (required for most other components): v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #1010 // Allow enemy AI to detect the party's magic items: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #1020 // Bugfix: Fix the Mirror Image spell so it doesn't block area-effect magic: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #1030 // Bugfix: Fix the Dispel Magic spell so it correctly allows for caster's level: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2000 // Allow Spellstrike to take down a Protection from Magic scroll: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2010 // More consistent Breach spell (always affects liches and rakshasas; doesn't penetrate Spell Turning): v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2021 // Antimagic attacks penetrate improved invisibility -> All spells that bring down spell protections get areas of effect: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2030 // Iron Skins behaves like Stoneskin (can be brought down by Breach): v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2041 // Modify the Harm spell so it does damage rather than reducing target to 1 hp -> Enemy and player Harm spells both do 150 hp of damage: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2050 // Make individual versions of Spell Immunity available, so that players can use them in Contingencies etc.: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2070 // Blade Barrier and Globe of Blades only affect hostile creatures: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2080 // Cap damage done by Skull Trap at 12d6: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2090 // Make Power-Word: Blind single-target: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2110 // Reduce the power of Inquisitors' Dispel Magic -> Inquisitors dispel at 1.5 x their level (not twice their level): v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2120 // Slightly weaken insect plague spells, and let fire shields block them: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #2140 // Slightly increase the power of Mantle, Improved Mantle, and Absolute Immunity: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3010 // Remove the invisibility power of the Staff of the Magi: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3530 // Faster Bears: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #3980 // Allow the Cowled Wizards to detect spellcasting in most indoor, above-ground areas in Athkatla: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4010 // Make Freedom scrolls available earlier: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4030 // Retrieve Dropped Items from Hell: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4040 // Improved shapeshifting: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4050 // Make party members less likely to die irreversibly: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4061 // Make the cleric stronghold available to all classes: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4063 // Make the fighter stronghold available to all classes: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #4067 // Make the wizard stronghold available to all classes: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #5010 // Remove animation from the Cloak of Mirroring (leave it for other spells and effects that use the same graphic): v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #5030 // Remove the blur graphic effect from the Displacer Cloak: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6000 // Smarter general AI: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6010 // Better calls for help: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6022 // Potions for NPCs -> Half the potions dropped by slain enemies break and are lost: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6030 // Improved Spiders: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6035 // Improved golems: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6040 // Give fiends more staying power by increasing their hit points (this component has no effect unless Improved Fiends is installed): v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6050 // Improved fiends -> Fiends have fast, uninterruptable innate magic: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6060 // Smarter genies -> Genies have fast, uninterruptable innate magic: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6070 // Give Celestials slightly more staying power: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6080 // Smarter celestials -> Celestials have fast, uninterruptable innate magic: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6090 // Give dragons more staying power by increasing their hit points: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6095 // Standardise dragon immunities: dragons in Shadows of Amn get the same immunities to vorpal attacks (etc) as their Throne of Bhaal cousins: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6100 // Smarter dragons -> Dragons have fast, uninterruptable innate magic: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6108 // Enemy mages (and Elder Orbs) use Simulacrum and Project Image spells (this component will have no effect unless you install Smarter Mages or Smarter Beholders): v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6111 // Smarter beholders -> Don't give beholder rays any chance of burning through spell protections: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6120 // Smarter mind flayers -> Illithids have only original-game resistances; Illithids cannot see invisible enemies (matches original game): v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6130 // Improved Vampires: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6135 // Smarter githyanki: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6136 // Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to ToB mages -> Only selected ToB mages get HLAs: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6150 // Smarter Mages -> Mages cast some short-duration spells instantly at start of combat, to simulate pre-battle casting: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6160 // Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to ToB priests -> Only selected ToB priests get HLAs: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6180 // Smarter Priests -> Priests cast some short-duration spells instantly at start of combat, to simulate pre-battle casting: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6210 // Smarter Illasera: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6220 // Smarter Yaga-Shura: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6230 // Smarter Abazigal: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6240 // Smarter Gromnir: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6250 // Smarter Melissan: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6260 // Give Ascension demons SCSII scripts and abilities: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6270 // Give Ascension versions of Irenicus and Sendai SCSII scripts and abilities: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #6900 // Make the starting dungeon slightly harder: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7000 // Improved Shade Lord: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7040 // Improved Random Encounters: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7050 // Improved d'Arnise Keep ("Tactics Remix") -> Spirit trolls have the same powers as in the original game: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7060 // Slightly improved Faldorn: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7070 // Improved Bodhi (Tactics Remix) -> "Toned-down" version of the original Tactics Improved Bodhi, with SCSII scripting: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7078 // Improved battle with Irenicus in Spellhold: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7080 // Improved Sahuagin: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7090 // Improved Beholder hive (adapted from Quest Pack): v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7110 // Slightly Improved Drow -> Upgrade Ust Natha's defences: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7120 // Slightly Improved Watcher's Keep: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7126 // Improved Irenicus in Hell (Tactics remix) -> Tactics-SCSII hybrid: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7130 // Improved Fire Giant temple: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7140 // Enhanced Sendai's Enclave: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7150 // Improved Abazigal's Lair: v15
~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ #0 #7160 // Improved Minor Encounters: v15
~GENERALIZED_BIFFING/GENERALIZED_BIFFING.TP2~ #0 #0 // Generalized Biffing: v2.1

For the most part, the installation went flawlessly but there *was* one hiccup and one odd piece of output. For the hiccup: In the Improved Priests component, somewhere at the end of the install I got SCS warning messages of the form:

SCS warning: I tried to swap the order of scripts DRUID10A and TREVIL in TREVIL02, but I couldn't find both of them
Copying and patching 1 file ...

I whipped up a Python script to sift through the debug file (over 4MB...) and log the warning messages. Here is the output:

SCS warning: I tried to swap the order of scripts MAGE4A and APPRENTI in MGAPPR03, but I couldn't find both of them
SCS warning: I tried to swap the order of scripts DW#BARD and HARPER in MERONIA, but I couldn't find both of them
SCS warning: I tried to swap the order of scripts DW#LICH and SHOUTDLG in HLKANG, but I couldn't find both of them
SCS warning: I tried to swap the order of scripts DRUID10A and TREVIL in TREVIL02, but I couldn't find both of them
SCS warning: I tried to swap the order of scripts DRUID12B and CEFGT04 in CEFGT04, but I couldn't find both of them
SCS warning: I tried to swap the order of scripts PRIES8C and INITDLG in VVPRIEST, but I couldn't find both of them
SCS warning: I tried to swap the order of scripts PRIES12A and GPSHOUT in TERMER03, but I couldn't find both of them
SCS warning: I tried to swap the order of scripts PRIET12B and STEALHOS in SUELF10, but I couldn't find both of them
SCS warning: I tried to swap the order of scripts PRIES12A and GENSHT01 in PBHUNT04, but I couldn't find both of them
SCS warning: I tried to swap the order of scripts DW#FIGCL and GPSHOUT in JAREV4, but I couldn't find both of them
SCS warning: I tried to swap the order of scripts DW#FIGCL and GPSHOUT in JAHEI4, but I couldn't find both of them
SCS warning: I tried to swap the order of scripts DW#FIGCL and GPSHOUT in JADE4, but I couldn't find both of them
SCS warning: I tried to swap the order of scripts DW#FIGCL and GPSHOUT in HEARTG4, but I couldn't find both of them
SCS warning: I tried to swap the order of scripts DW#FIGCL and GPSHOUT in HEARTG5, but I couldn't find both of them
SCS warning: I tried to swap the order of scripts PRIEST12 and NALIAFUN in FUMIN, but I couldn't find both of them
SCS warning: I tried to swap the order of scripts PRIEST12 and GPSHOUT in FIRBAN02, but I couldn't find both of them
SCS warning: I tried to swap the order of scripts PRIES8A and ELETRO in ELETRO02, but I couldn't find both of them
SCS warning: I tried to swap the order of scripts PRIES14T and DADROW12 in DADROW12, but I couldn't find both of them

As you can see there are similar messages for a few mage scripts, but I never saw them in the output (maybe I just missed them?).

At Install Component [improved Irenicus in Hell (Tactics remix)]? choosing 1 and after the installation I get

SKIPPING: [Faithful adaptation of the Tactics version]
	Skipping this component as you have a version of Improved Irenicus installed already

which although not an error, looks odd.

As for playing, I started a new game and breezed through Chateaux Irenicus straight to the exit without any detour. Everything worked properly although I did notice that in the library, Illyich's buddies came after me -- I killed 3 of them, which was relatively easy, since Illyich in the meantime fled the scene and the mage stayed in his place.

Archived