SCS2 and SR

Guest JustAnotherCouchPotato

I recently tried installing SCS2 on a game with Spell Revisions already in place. Both mods say that they are compatible, but I was completely unable to install any mage scripts. Could it be that SCS2 had problems with me not taking the entire SR spell set but instead picking only the ones I liked?

If so, would it be possible for SCS2 to offer a different installation option - namely to ignore the SR tweaks and use the vanilla spells for enemy mages - to allow an installation even on a partial SR installation?

I would also like to be able to install SCS2's versions of Breach, Ruby Ray of Reversal etc on top of SR.

I recently tried installing SCS2 on a game with Spell Revisions already in place. Both mods say that they are compatible, but I was completely unable to install any mage scripts. Could it be that SCS2 had problems with me not taking the entire SR spell set but instead picking only the ones I liked?

If so, would it be possible for SCS2 to offer a different installation option - namely to ignore the SR tweaks and use the vanilla spells for enemy mages - to allow an installation even on a partial SR installation?

I would also like to be able to install SCS2's versions of Breach, Ruby Ray of Reversal etc on top of SR.

Interesting... yes, probably I'm assuming the whole of SR to be present or none of it. I'll think about how I can be friendlier to partial installs. (It isn't completely trivial, but it ought to be doable.)

Interesting... yes, probably I'm assuming the whole of SR to be present or none of it. I'll think about how I can be friendlier to partial installs. (It isn't completely trivial, but it ought to be doable.)

Well, before that I'd try to see if there are more common causes, for example: did the player used the hotfixes before installing SR and SCS? If I'm not wrong the old problem with spwi319, spwi320, sppr306 and sppr407 (listed in the above link under 'Compatibility fixes for SCS') was causing problems when installing SCS after SR.

Personally I cannot see how not installing a bunch of SR spells could lessen the compatibility between SR and SCS, unless players can do some crazy things which I cannot imagine right now.

Regarding Breach and RRoR:

- SCS Breach can indeed be installed over SR without problems, just install the relevant SCS component over SR

- RRoR is IDENTICAL within SCS and SR thus I don't know why you'd prefer one over the other (*)

(*) if you instead want all anti-magic attacks to share a large AoE then yes, you can install SCS component over SR afaik. SR's Secret Word will look very strange with an AoE, and SR's Pierce Shield with an AoE is kinda OP imo but other than that everything should be fine.

I believe you are right - I missed the hotfixes for SR.

If that is the answer to the riddle, then I apologize for taking up your time. I shall reinstall now with that in mind. (oh and I didn't know that SR has II-ignoring antimagic attacks too now)

@Ardanis

Truth be told, it's some time past now - and I don't know for certain any more. I was pretty certain though that SR was the cause. The other mod that got in the vicinity was Refinements which I haven't tried once since then because it didn't work properly. I ruled it out because I didn't allow enemy mages to use HLAs.

Wanted to install just a few SCS spells myself and was wondering the same thing.

@DavidW

Would you be so kind as to share the current state of SCS AI and selective SR installs?

(And for that matter what would be the effect if, for example, I manually edited Larloch's MnrDrn to say, increase by 1/2 levels to a maximum of 8.

- Would that mess up SCS in any way besides mages being less likely to employ it?

- What if I made Meteor Swarm have 4 targetable projectiles? Would that be okay if I made it a separate spell so enemy mages didn't try to use it in their scripts???)

...what would be the effect if, for example, I manually edited Larloch's MnrDrn to say, increase by 1/2 levels to a maximum of 8.

- Would that mess up SCS in any way besides mages being less likely to employ it?

SCS would still consider it as always, no more no less. It doesn't directly check your changes and thus assumes the spell works as per SR.

- What if I made Meteor Swarm have 4 targetable projectiles? Would that be okay if I made it a separate spell so enemy mages didn't try to use it in their scripts???
In this case you're better off creating a custom spell for yourself, because SCS scripts would not handle the 4x target selection (a la vanilla's Wand of Lightning I guess) and simply fire the first fireball.

Archived