Detecting SR v4

DavidW

I need a way to check if version 4 (or later) of SR is installed (reason: I don't want to fix Spell Shield if it's already fixed). Can you suggest something? (I currently detect SR via "dvimhere.mrk", which is fine, but won't distinguish between v3 and v4.)

Well, I can pretty much do whatever you want (e.g. I can add a "dvsrv4here.mrk" file or modify the old one). Let me know what you prefer and I'll do it. ???

OK, cool. In that case, can you leave the old marker in place and add a "dvsrv4here.mrk" file.

By the way, coding a "VERSION_OF_TP2 ~mymod.tp2~" patch expression (so that you can write VERSION_OF_TP2 ~item_rev.tp2~ > 3) wouldn't work for a lot of reasons*, so don't start a 300 page lobbying campaign to get me to code that.

* - VERSION is a free-text string (potentially traified), so it doesn't map to a numerical value.

- Even if it did, many mods use Major.Minor (or even Major.Minor.Revision) versioning scheme, so the numerical value I can't get from above must be converted into an integer (especially if you want to do so in a way that will remain consistent between "0.9.7a", "0.95c" and "1.3-BiG World Fixpack").

- Even if I magically mapped all of that into a single integer, there's no guarantee that the user unzipped the last Item_Rev version without re-installing it (meaning that VERSION_OF_TP2 returns 4 while the user only installed 3).

By the way, coding a "VERSION_OF_TP2 ~mymod.tp2~" patch expression (so that you can write VERSION_OF_TP2 ~item_rev.tp2~ > 3) wouldn't work for a lot of reasons*, so don't start a 300 page lobbying campaign to get me to code that.

Don't look at me - I'm still happy dumping marker files in the override.

Don't look at me - I'm still happy dumping marker files in the override.

As do I. But you're surely noticed that some people like to post suggestions for improvement where no such thing is needed (or easy to implement) and aren't willing to listen to reason.

Archived