Widescreen in Wine?

Guest mreduardo

Guest mreduardo

Hey,

I'm running BG2 with ToB patched to the official 26498 on my MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard OSX 10.6.6. It runs in an X11 window via Wine perfectly at 1024x768. Your Widescreen Mod seemed to install fine but I'm not quite sure how to switch the resolution. Altering the baldur.ini file doesn't allow me to be specific with resolution choices and when I attempt to open setup-widescreen.exe with Wine, it acts like its going to open...but then nothing happens. Usually any other program I run would bring up the Windows virtual desktop via X11..but this doesn't seem to.

I looked thru this forum but didn't see anything much like this problem....any thoughts? Thanks guys!

Guest mreduardo
You can try making an hybrid OSX build of Widescreen with the Linux version of Widescreen and the Mac version of WeiDU.

That sounds difficult.... =p

Not really:

extract the Linux version of Widescreen to your BGII directory

extract WeiDU-Mac from the Mac version of WeiDU into your BGII directory

Rename WeiDU-Mac to Setup-Widescreen

Execute that (natively)

For troubleshooting purposes wait for some other OSX user.

Guest mreduardo
Not really:

extract the Linux version of Widescreen to your BGII directory

extract WeiDU-Mac from the Mac version of WeiDU into your BGII directory

Rename WeiDU-Mac to Setup-Widescreen

Execute that (natively)

For troubleshooting purposes wait for some other OSX user.

Thanks for the info! Messed with that a little bit. didn't have much luck tho, the debug log shows the program running a loop once it gets to asking what language to use...

If any Mac/Wine users have a work around, shoot me an Email

weidu getting all loopy is not a new problem, but I think it is a problem in wine. I remember I had to downgrade it a few times to get things to work. Oh, it also happens if mod weidu versions aren't in sync, but you just need to rerun the older ones to get them updated.

Guest mreduardo

Ok, so I reinstalled everything fresh, updated to the current version of BG2 and ToB, then installed the BG2Fixpack.

I extracted the Linux version of Widescreen into my BG2 folder. Then renamed the Mac WeiDU file to 'setup-widescreen' and placed it in the BG2 folder. It opens up Terminal and gives me these errors:

ERROR: Cannot perform auto-update, going ahead anyway!

Sys_error("setup-widescreen: No such file or directory")

** ERROR ** [sETUP-WIDESCREEN.TP2] not found.

Make sure that you have unpacked the archive correctly and

that you are not trying to run this file from inside an archive.

ERROR: Unable to find CHITIN.KEY in:

../..

../../..

../../../..

/BGII - SoA

FATAL ERROR: Failure("Unable to find CHITIN.KEY: run me in an Infinity Engine game directory")

I have tried running it with all Widescreen files in ../BGII - SoA/Widescreen

Then I also tried it after moving all the Widescreen files from that folder and putting them directly in BGII - SoA. Same errors...

I appreciate you guys bearing with a programming n00b such as myself!

Guest Die Mensch-Maschine

I just installed both Baldur’s Gate EasyTutu and Baldur’s Gate II using the very same method you described, in Wineskin wrapper with wine 1.3.14. And so far (which means some 15 seconds into the tutorial), both run perfectly smooth, in 1440x900.

On a MacBook Pro 5.3 running Mac OS X 10.6.6.

Guest Die Mensch-Maschine
Ok, so I reinstalled everything fresh, updated to the current version of BG2 and ToB, then installed the BG2Fixpack.

I extracted the Linux version of Widescreen into my BG2 folder. Then renamed the Mac WeiDU file to 'setup-widescreen' and placed it in the BG2 folder. It opens up Terminal and gives me these errors:

ERROR: Cannot perform auto-update, going ahead anyway!

Sys_error("setup-widescreen: No such file or directory")

** ERROR ** [sETUP-WIDESCREEN.TP2] not found.

Make sure that you have unpacked the archive correctly and

that you are not trying to run this file from inside an archive.

ERROR: Unable to find CHITIN.KEY in:

../..

../../..

../../../..

/BGII - SoA

FATAL ERROR: Failure("Unable to find CHITIN.KEY: run me in an Infinity Engine game directory")

I have tried running it with all Widescreen files in ../BGII - SoA/Widescreen

Then I also tried it after moving all the Widescreen files from that folder and putting them directly in BGII - SoA. Same errors...

I appreciate you guys bearing with a programming n00b such as myself!

Oh, now I get it. You ran the setup-widescreen script from the Finder, e.g. by double-clicking it. You should run it from the Terminal, as follows:

1. Install a fresh, up-to-date copy of Baldur’s Gate II (or Baldur’s Gate Tutu) with Wine.
  2. Download the latest version of Widescreen (filename linux-widescreen-vX.XX.tar.bz2) for linux from herelinux.
  3. Extract linux-widescreen-vX.XX.tar.bz2 by double-clicking it; you should get a widescreen folder.
  4. Drag the widescreen folder (not its content, the whole folder) into you Baldur’s Gate II folder.
  5. Download the latest version of WeiDU Mac (file WeiDU-Mac-xxx.zip) from the bigg Weidu download page.
  6. Extract the WeiDU-Mac-xxx.zip archive by double clicking it. You should get a WeiDU folder containing a weidu file, whose type is “Unix executable fileâ€.
  7. Copy this weidu executable into your Baldur’s Gate II folder and rename it setup-widescreen.

You are now set up to launch the script, but you need to do it from the Baldur’s Gate II folder, and that implies using the terminal. It’s pretty simple, really, if you have any idea of what you're doing.

1. Launch the Terminal application, located in the Utilities subfolder of the Applications folder.
  2. Assuming your username is john and your computer’s name is MyMac, you should see a new window with this showing up:
    Last login: Tue Mar  1 13:18:48 on ttys000
    MyMac:~ john$

Type “cd â€, without quotes and with a space character after the cd, then drag your Baldur’s Gate II folder from the Finder into the terminal window, then press enter
    This should give you something like this:

Last login: Tue Mar  1 13:18:48 on ttys000
    MyMac:~ john$ cd /path/to/BGII\ -\ SoA
    MyMac:BGII - SoA john$

3. Type "./setup-widescreen", then press enter. Pay attention to the dot before the slash.
  4. Follow the installer instructions
  5. Enjoy Baldur’s Gate on your widescreen.

Sorry if this looks a little bit “for dummiesâ€, but hey, better to much details that not enough.

I guess that writing a script (shell or AppleScript) automating the procedure as much as possible would be pretty easy, although I wonder if that would be really useful to anyone.

Archived