Monster speed in Tutu

Guest Brian

Guest Brian

Firstly, I want to say I love both SCS and SCS2, they're great mods.

One big problem I have with Baldur's Gate 1 is, apparently due to the PC's receiving a big speed boost in BG2, nearly all of the non-humanoid enemies in BG1 move slower than the NPC, often dramatically so. Because of this, you can basically kite most of them for days, monsters like ghouls, spiders, and ogres are a complete joke, even in groups.

I've seen a component in the BGTweaks pack that slows the PC down to classic speed, but this is apparently problematic, with bugs like Freedom temporarily speeding the player up, some monsters becoming inexplicably fast, haste, slow and polymorph acting strangely.

This might fall outside of the scope of this mod, but I'm curious: why has no one tried to do the opposite? Instead of slowing the PC's down, give most of the BG1 monsters a speed boost. I think something like this might already be included for bears in this mod, but its strange to me that I haven't seen a mod that just speeds up the glacial enemies. Hell, this would probably even have application in BG2, since a lot of those monsters are similarly slow IIRC.

Cheers.

Undead being slow I could understand, since they are traditionally slow movers. The slow speed only really affects giant and huge spiders, so I think they should get a speed boost to PC movement speed. Phase and sword spiders don't need a boost, since they teleport or are fast anyway.

As for ogres, I agree completely that they are too slow and need a major speed boost.

I remember thinking when I first played Tutu how every creature seemed so slow in comparison to you. Thinkning back to BG1 I remember that you moved at the same speed as hobgoblins. Wow. They seem so slow now. I think hardened players simply got used to the discrepancies, but I agree monster speeds in general need a tweak.

The worst bug caused by installing the walking speeds component is freedom potions speed you up, I can't say I noticed too many other serious issues. I always installed it, the game is much better with it installed. Without you can just run around all day and not get touched by a monster.

Archived