Problems with fixpack for Mac

Guest Matt

Hi,

I hope this is the right forum for this. I've always been a big fan of the BG series and used to play it a lot on PC. Nowadays I have a Mac and I thought I'd try it out again. I installed it, patched it and it seemed to work well. I downloaded fixpack and a few weidu mods and got them installed. But the startup to take a very long time, several minutes. At first I thought the game had crashed, but when I left it on it eventually started up and I could play. When I tried to save it also took several minutes.

Since I know very little about programming, weidu, command lines and whatnot I had some problems installing the fixpack. When I tried to run the .command file I just got this:

/BGII\ -\ SoA/setup-bg2fixpack ; exit;

/BGII - SoA/setup-bg2fixpack: line 1: BACKUP: command not found

/BGII - SoA/setup-bg2fixpack: line 2: AUTHOR: command not found

: command not foundg2fixpack: line 3:

/BGII - SoA/setup-bg2fixpack: line 4: VERSION: command not found

: command not foundg2fixpack: line 5:

/BGII - SoA/setup-bg2fixpack: line 6: README: command not found

: command not foundg2fixpack: line 7:

: command not foundg2fixpack: line 8: ALLOW_MISSING

: command not foundg2fixpack: line 9:

/BGII - SoA/setup-bg2fixpack: line 10: //fixpack: No such file or directory

: command not foundg2fixpack: line 11: ~spin104a.spl~

: command not foundg2fixpack: line 12: ~spwi314a.spl~

: command not foundg2fixpack: line 13:

/BGII - SoA/setup-bg2fixpack: line 14: //: is a directory

: command not foundg2fixpack: line 15: ~ar3001.are~

: command not foundg2fixpack: line 16: ~ar3003.are~

: command not foundg2fixpack: line 17: ~ar3004.are~

etc, etc,

After some googling I found a solution. I copied weidu into the BG directory and renamed it "setup-bg2fixpack.command" and succeeded in installing it. I found no other problems than the song startup and save times, I did't have the patience to play much though.

I reinstalled the entire game several times and encountered the same problems whenever I have fixpack installed. I even tried installing a mod (Kivan) without the fixpack and it started up and saved normally.

Any suggestions?

judging from the syntax errors, the .command file is not a shell script, but a weidu one, so you have to run it through weidu (which is basically what you did afterwards).

I don't remember where those "fixes" are, but if all the gender/race/class/item fixes are not in the tweakpack, this may well be the reason for the slowdown. Consider biffing your override folder.

Archived