Setting Up For Testing

eloquate

Hello there, I've been following the project and this forum for a while now and have finally worked up the energy to help out in whatever small way I can.

I managed to get GemRB working with the GOG version of BG2 on my Ubuntu box last night (huzzah for small victories!).

One small issue I ran into, in terms of debugging, was that the game ran in fullscreen regardless of whether this option was set to 0 or 1 in the config.

Ideally, I would like to have the terminal running alongside the game window so I can see where anything might be going awry.

Is the fullscreen option in the gemrb.cfg dependent on baldur.ini being set to windowed mode? I'll investigate myself more thoroughly once I get home from work although any suggestions on this would be sincerely appreciated.

A second question regarding testing: does GemRB intend to fix bugs already fixed in the G3 Fixpack? To be precise, is it preferred to be testing from a clean install or one with the fixpack installed?

Many thanks for your time.

One small issue I ran into, in terms of debugging, was that the game ran in fullscreen regardless of whether this option was set to 0 or 1 in the config.

This statement alone tells me you're running an old version of gemrb. The latest as of last week is 0.6.5. I'm not sure where you got yours, but playdeb has already updated.

For a while both options did matter, yes. Until you can change it permanently ingame, we'll leave this override in.

The best thing to help debugging and testing is to use gemrb from git, since then you can immediately try the fixes or suggestions (and our code not differing makes it easier for us too).

Regarding the second question, no, we don't fix data bugs. The game is more buggy, but it is easier to debug with vanilla, since there's one layer less (the fixpack is no saint either). For bg2, it shouldn't really matter anymore though, we have our plate full. :)

This statement alone tells me you're running an old version of gemrb. The latest as of last week is 0.6.5. I'm not sure where you got yours, but playdeb has already updated.

I can confirm this was using version 0.6.5 from the PPA as per this guide. Given the age of the guide the version number was the first thing I checked.

If I remember correctly fullscreen is set to False in the config by default? On initial launch the game ran at 640 x 480 in fullscreen. This was on a clean BG2 install. I had not ran bgmain.exe or bgconfig.exe prior to running to GermRB.

Since running BGConfig.exe this is now working though.

I'll try and see if I can replicate this with a fresh installation and the GIT build tonight.

Another small victory. Successfully compiled the GIT build.

As per your initial post, this defaulted to 640 x 480 windowed mode on a clean BG2 install.

For version tracking purposes, this shows the header 0.6.5-GIT. Is there a more specific identifier than this should I need to report a problem?

I'll try and save any bug reports / requests for the sourceforge tracker rather than losing them in forum posts.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my queries so far.

Archived