BG1 Doesn't autosave, City regions offset right on Worldmap, et al...

Ulric

Hello,

My first time here so if I mess up, please correct me gently.

I've been using Wine and just found GemRB a couple of days ago. Spent the last

two days installing/playing around with GemRB and the widescreen mod and have

finally gotten a set-up that seems to be usable with both Wine and GemRB but there are a few issues.

First my set-up;

GemRB 0.70 under linux (gentoo) on a Wine installed BG1 with TOTSC.

The widescreen install was applied for the original engine and converted the saved games. Setting the resolution in gemrb.cfg to the same resolution set in the widescreen install seems to work nicely with games saved from one engine being loadable by the other (except autosaves, see below).

I've scanned the topics on this forum, the todo lists, and did some searches on the bug list but found nothing that seemed directly relevant.

The Autosave issue is wierd. when moving from outside region to outside region it just doesn't autosave and it will frequently (but not always) crash or give me a blue area screen when I try to load an autosave created by the bioware engine, though other saves load fine (as long as they aren't a different resolution).

My party is strong enough and I'm familiar enough with the game that this can be managed by doing explicit saves but it's really annoying.

If you want to see a log tell me what you want me to log and I'll attach it. Note that it doesn't crash when moving between regions, it just doesn't save (no scrollbar display, you're just suddenly in the new area). Also autosave _does_ work on at least some inside areas (leaving the sewers, entering undercellar).

The second major glitch is that the area you need to click on the worldmap in order to enter a city region is offset a couple inches to the right of where it's drawn; for example to get to the area just inside the gate (where sorcerous sundries is located) you need to click on the left bank of the river just below where the bridge is drawn. The travel hours popup scrolls give a good indication of where to click so with practice it is possible to navigate the city, but again it's really annoying.

A minor problem is that right clicking on a bow or sling gives an icon of the weapon rather than letting you choose a quiver slot.

Even more minor (actually ignorable) is that the cylinder of protection against normal missiles is opaque rather than translucent (I'm using the bracers).

Since there seems to be no mention of these by anybody else I'm assuming it's something in my setup (the first two surely would have been commented on by somebody!) but haven't found anything in the docs or anywhere else to suggest where to start looking.

Any clues?

Ulric

blue areas are missing data; probably because gemrb doesnt know where to find it (happens with GOG edition)

as far as i know right clicking any item opens its info and is working as intended.

maybe you should check your log.

I should have been more clear.

The individual status display across the bottom of the screen shows equipped

weapons. Normally (ie in the original engine) right clicking on the button

for an equipped sling or bow replaces this status display with a row of

buttons showing the contents of each non-empty quiver slot. You can then

select which slot supplies the weapon in combat. This is handy so that you

don't waste +2 bullets or arrows when attacked by rabid chickens but you can

still switch to whatever higher powered ammo you have in your quivers when

suddenly ambushed by something more threatening, like a pair of wyverns or

trio of ogre mages.

With GemRB right clicking on an equipped bow or sling replaces the status

display with a row containing one button showing the weapon you clicked on.

Pretty but not useful, the work around is to go to the inventory screen

before (or during if you're brave) each combat and select the quiver slot

you want to use for that combat. This only works if you're familiar enough

with the game to know when difficult battles are coming or are willing to

use cheat codes to keep resupplying yourself with killer ammo (alright, mea

culpa;-).

Ulric

Ok here's an attached log file (let me know if it doesn't get uploaded).

I started GemRB, loaded a game with my party in the far northwest part of the city (Entar Silvershields estate), went to the far eastern part of the city (Sorcerous Sundries), right clicked on Garricks bow,

went back to the far northwest area, then tried to load the autosave, at which point it gave me a segmentation fault.

Ulric

Apparently, no logfile to be seen.

Right clicking on a weapon (in the action button row), may be wrong. It was never checked with bows.

With normal items, you are able to switch between weapon abilities.

But with bows, it is switching between any possible quivers.

Apparently, no logfile to be seen.

Right clicking on a weapon (in the action button row), may be wrong. It was never checked with bows.

With normal items, you are able to switch between weapon abilities.

But with bows, it is switching between any possible quivers.

Yeah, that's consistent with what I see. My PC is a fighter/mage/thief

(named Ulric, surpise surprise:-) using the +2 thrown/melee battleaxe and

right clicking on it gives a choice between melee and missile use.

FWIW the rest of my party is Ajantis, Jaheira, Khalid, Branwen, and Garrick.

All have missile weapons but none can select ammo by right clicking.

The log file should be attached this time (still figuring out the interface for this forum).

Ulric

Archived